TRExp

Stag, 2500 & 2000 Forum

Can anything be done to reduce diff whine on a Stag?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sujitroy Avatar
sujitroy Sujit Roy
Cupertino, California, USA   USA
I've been told by a diff shop that there is nothing much that can be done to a diff to reduce the whine.

However, someone said adding poly bushes to the rear suspension reduced the noise.

I've heard from earlier posts that new crown and pinons were not great. However, one or two folks say this is not the case anymore.

The same guy at the diff shop said that there is no way of telling, without installing it on a car, if a diff is any good. This guys worked with a Welch guy for 22 years working on diffs.

Anyone on this forum had any experience?

Sujit

California, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Sometimes you can tell they're bad without installing. Should turn silky-smooth by hand, no resistance or tight spots or gritty feeling.

But otherwise I agree, running it at speed under load is the only way to prove that it's good. There's probably a way to do that on the bench, but building the setup would take longer and cost more than just putting it in the car.

Might be worth trying this stuff. Won't solve the problem obviously, but might help reduce the noise. (I've heard it helps, never tried it myself.)
https://www.redlineoil.com/heavy-shockproof

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster