Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stagitall Avatar
stagitall Paul Martin
Smallwood, NY, USA   USA
i have a 72 stag with a may 71 manufacture tag. color code different than car, MK2 interior Chestnut color,chrome bezels on inst.panel, license plate light in triumph plaque on back bumper and alum star wheels. window vin is same as door plaque. what year is my car??

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
What's the commission number?

I don't know all the details offhand, but I do know that there were a lot of small changes (to US models anyway) between the 71 and 72 model years; in spite of the (unofficial) Mk1/ Mk2 designation being for the 72/73 changes.

There is also the chance that someone has been swapping parts around. My second Stag has what appears to be a 72 body; with a 71 interior, dash and gauges; and a 73 engine. The tag under the windscreen is missing, the one in the door claims it should be a 71 model with an automatic. But it has a 4 speed with J-type and so far I've not seen any indications that it ever had the automatic (except that the insert around the shift lever was crudely cut from plywood).

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

stagitall Avatar
stagitall Paul Martin
Smallwood, NY, USA   USA
yes this is a little perplexing I tracked down the last 2 owners and this is the way they got it.
LE1985 LBW it had the 350 and th350 trans when it came from cal. to colo. then fla. oh well as long as the parts fit i guess

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi Silver Member David Sherrow
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA   USA
Manufacture date and registration date are very often different. A vehicle manufactured after June, can and often is, registered in the following year. You may have to know the manufacture date when ordering parts that might have changed during the production run. If manufacture date is not required, then there should be no problem when ordering parts.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster