AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1972 stag rim swap
  This topic is about my 1972 Triumph Stag
stagitall Avatar
stagitall Paul Martin
Smallwood, NY, USA   USA
Hi All. Happy New Year. I have just purchased my first 1972 Stag, Cool car. I would like to upsize my rims to 15/maybe 16" if possible w/lower profile tires . I currently have 195/65/14s on orig. 5star rims.
My Questions are , are there any interchangeable triumph rims or does anyone know of a company that sells wheels for a stag. I have been running into a lot of dead ends LOL
Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
The bolt circle is the same as TR2-6, so I'm pretty sure those rims would fit. Also probably any of the Z-car aftermarket rims (since they also fit TR2-6).

If you currently have wire wheels though (not sure offhand if that was even an option in 72), you'll need to replace the wheel studs with the longer ones before installing disc wheels.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

stagitall Avatar
stagitall Paul Martin
Smallwood, NY, USA   USA
Thanks, I currently have stock 14 aluminum wheels, I don't have the car available to measure the bolt pattern size. Thanks for the info ,that opens up a huge door for me.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sujitroy Avatar
sujitroy Sujit Roy
Cupertino, California, USA   USA
I've been exploring this for some time. With 195/65/14 you have too much of a space between wheel arch and edge of tire. The original tire fitted to the Stag is about 2" in diameter bigger that the one you have. (original size tires are available from a few places but are way more expensive.

Some people have suggested to keep the original tires diameter, but go for a 15" rim. U get more tires/ brands to select from. I've been advised not to go for 16" rims, but I think 16" look much better.

If I had the money, I'd go for 16" wires. I currently have 14" wires on 195/65/14 on a '71 Stag.

Sujit

stagitall Avatar
stagitall Paul Martin
Smallwood, NY, USA   USA
Thanks for the input (very useful)

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
Gotta take care in choosing rims with correct offset/back space. I know stock TR6 rims will bolt right up and even look good

I have a set of Saab Shelby wheels going on my 2000. They're the minilite clones.

Attachments:
IMG_3536.JPG    56.1 KB
IMG_3536.JPG

sujitroy Avatar
sujitroy Sujit Roy
Cupertino, California, USA   USA
I did some more digging

Tires
Diameter (inch)
185/60R14 22.74
185/65R14 23.47
185/70R14 24.2

original tire 25.9 I've also seen some listed as 25.5

185R14

175-14 HR rating MXV3A (late Stag)
185-14 HR rating MXV3A (Stag to 1977)
195/70-14 HR rating MXV3A (not an official fitment)

triumph74tr6 Avatar
triumph74tr6 Chad Jester
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1964 Triumph Sports 6 "Speed 6"
1968 Triumph TR250 "Gene"
1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Ken"
1974 MG MGB GT "MiGiBiGiT"    & more
I have some Centerline 15" alloys that were on a TR4 and will bolt right up. I can send pics. Will let them go cheap.

Chad in Tulsa

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster