Funny clutch noises...

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Luckless Pedestrian Avatar
Pepperell, MA, USA   USA
So the other day I got my Stag out for its first drive this season and noticed a strange whirring / screeching noise when I let the clutch out (foot off the pedal)... (its a 4 speed, no OD) If I just rest my foot on the pedal the noise goes away. Now I suspect this may have to do with the clutch release bearing, but I have also read some things that say it may be the main bearings in the tranny... Is there a way I can diagnose this without taking the tranny out?...

The noise appears to be getting worse the more I use the car... Although at first I could only hear it when the car was not moving and the transmission in neutral, I can now hear it when the car is in gear and moving....

Input appreciated...

Jim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-08 01:46 PM by Luckless Pedestrian.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
If just resting your foot on the pedal (clutch still engaged) changes the noise, it's not likely to be a transmission problem. The transmission is still turning just as before.

But since you've got to pull the gearbox to change the TOB anyway, you can check out the gearbox bearing while it's out.

Also make sure you've got all the locating pins that hold the gearbox in alignment with the crankshaft. IIRC there are two dowel pins that locate the flywheel housing to the cylinder block, plus two "dowel bolts" with precision shanks that locate the gearbox to the flywheel housing.

Both of my Stags were lacking the dowel bolts when they came to me; and one had a failed center bearing in the gearbox. I can't prove that they are related, but it seems likely to me. I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on similar gearboxes and never seen that bearing fail.

Proper dowel bolts were not available at that time (haven't looked lately), so I made my own by threading both ends of a piece of "drill rod". Or you can substitute ordinary precision dowels with a dab of Loctite to hold them in place.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Luckless Pedestrian Avatar
Pepperell, MA, USA   USA
Thanks for the input...

Jim.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
maybach Paul Barlow
Exeter, Devon, UK   GBR
Hi all
Chris Witor sells dowel bolts, as stated these are essential for gearbox engine alignment
hope this helps

Paul
Exeter
England

sujitroy Avatar
sujitroy Sujit Roy
Cupertino, California, USA   USA
Hi Randall,
Do those dowel pins come out and if so how?

The gearbox you sold me has one. The gearbox I recently brought over from the UK didn't have any. Does you know if the gearbox casting was shared with other Triumphs?

Sujit

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
The pins are just a tight fit in the hole, should tap out with a hammer and punch/drift.

The gearbox casting is the same as later TR6; but the Stag unit is machined differently. The Stag uses roller thrust bearings on the countershaft, while the TR6 just has plain thrust washers. The roller bearings are thicker, so the housing is machined to make room for them. IIRC the stationary shaft is different dimensions too, so the bore for it in the housing is different. The TR6 version is straight, while the Stag version is bigger at one end.

I'm not certain, but I believe the same issues apply to the 2500, etc. Only the Stag uses those roller thrust bearings (aka Torrington bearings). However, the TR6 housing can be machined to accept them (John Esposito offers this as a service).

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster