This topic is about my 1977 Triumph Stag
accoj Avatar
accoj John Burley
Marsden, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1977 Triumph Stag
1977 Triumph Stag
1977 Triumph Stag
2004 Ford Falcon "My New Toy"    & more
Hi all well I went out to a swapmeet the other week and on the way home the temp gauge went crazy straight up to the red well I pulled up and checked it was boiling so I sat for an hour or so and started it and topped up the coolant when I got home the valley cover was 2 inches deep in green coolant
I ripped off the manifold and ordered new gaskets for the water pump and manifold
well all went well till I put it back together and topped it up and guess what coolant in the valley
so the question I ask is there any difference in manifold gaskets between models as the gaskets looked like they only covered about half of the water gallery in the heads (the 2inch long ones not the little holes) not sure where to go from here Im getting sick of removing the intake manifold
any help appreciated
thanks John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sujitroy Avatar
sujitroy Sujit Roy
Cupertino, California, USA   USA
This is a horrible job. I sill have a slight leak. I have to top up the reservoir on every other drive.

I did at one point, get 1 gasket in a set which was slightly thicker than the others. This might have bee a quality error.

I really need to go in a heli-coli the holes and clamp the manifold down tighter.

Sujit

emerald. Steve Poulton
Hockley, essex, UK   GBR
Hi mate,
can you get kseal over there its good stuff and worth a try before you rip it all out again.
steve.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sujitroy Avatar
sujitroy Sujit Roy
Cupertino, California, USA   USA
Hi Steve,
A quick search on Google shows this stuff is available in the US.
Adding this type of stuffr in a Stag has raised mixed reviews.

The job really needs to be done properly.

Sujit

accoj Avatar
accoj John Burley
Marsden, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1977 Triumph Stag
1977 Triumph Stag
1977 Triumph Stag
2004 Ford Falcon "My New Toy"    & more
Thanks guys Im tempted to get set of heli coils two holes were coiled before I got it so I think I should do the other ten maybe then I will use some Kseal over here Ive seen it advertised we also have Chemiweld which is good stuff
ve used both Chemi weld in a Cummins diesel and helicoils on a Roadranger 13 speed gearbox with some sucsess
Thanks John

emerald. Steve Poulton
Hockley, essex, UK   GBR
Hi sujit,
i agree that its not ideal if the engine is worn out and maybe a few galls of the stuff is floating around already, but if its a good engine and new gaskets have been put on and it is just a small leak it wouldnt hurt throwing a bottle in before the whole job was redone only to find the same result.
steve.

Carlisle, Cumbria, UK   GBR
hi
when you have the manifold off you can see a long slot / gap in the cast iron block where the water pump is located,
the water leaks past the water pump seal out the gap to escape.
chances are manifold intake gaskets ok.
repair kits with ceramic seal available from robsport international or numpty9 on ebay.
you can bung the water pump off altogether and fit external belt driven pump or electric pump.. i have both fitted to mine...
evans waterless coolant is the way forward and header tank fitted up on the inner wing.
regards
mark

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster