Triumph 2000 Heater Problems

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dan143389 Dan L
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand   NZL
So for a first car I decided to buy a Triumph 2000, the upholstery and exterior are in good condition, but it has one problem, the heater only works on cold. It is currently autumn here in NZ and its getting rather cold so this is becoming more of an issue.
So basically the lever that turns it hot or cold only goes to cold, if you turn it to hot it springs back to the middle, I have tried holding it there and felt no warm air coming out, I have no idea what the issue is and was hoping you guys could offer some insight.

Thanks in advance
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I couldn't find a good illustration of that area (and I'm not familiar with the 2000 specifically), but I think you will find a spool type water control valve located on the RH side of the heater unit under the dash. Most likely, that valve has seized and the cable is bending rather than moving the valve..

Looks like Rimmers has the spool part in stock http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RS1431

Depending on how badly damaged it is, you'll probably want to replace the cable as well. http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-519258

Drain the coolant first, of course, but even so, it will probably dump coolant (along with rust and old muck) out when you start getting the valve loose. So put down a plastic drop cloth (and/or diapers) to protect your carpets.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

dan143389 Dan L
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand   NZL
The valve is not seized, I can move it with my hands, but it is very stiff, is there anyway to repair it or is replacement a better option?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
You could try just working the valve back and forth with WD40, but I would not attempt to take the thing apart.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster