Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ham204mg Avatar
ham204mg Mario Psaila
Mosta, napp, Malta   MLT
Can someone let me know what the multimeter readings for the Stag ignition coil should be: a) touching the + and - terminals and b) touching the + or - and centre socket.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Across the two low tension terminals (+ and -) should be close to 1.5 ohms. (The ROM gives 1.43 to 1.58, but replacement coils may be slightly outside that range and still be good).

I don't have the factory spec for the secondary (either side terminal to the center terminal), but anything within roughly 7K to 15K ohms should be fine.

This is only a very basic test for the coil; the resistances can be OK and the coil still be bad.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

ham204mg Avatar
ham204mg Mario Psaila
Mosta, napp, Malta   MLT
I have 3 ohms touching +ve and -ve with the ignition off and 9k ohms touching the centre electrode with +ve . I also have 6 volts touching the +ve and -ve with the ignition on.

Merry Xmas by the way and all the best of the season's greetings! smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1337379 by ham204mg I have 3 ohms touching +ve and -ve with the ignition off and 9k ohms touching the centre electrode with +ve . I also have 6 volts touching the +ve and -ve with the ignition on.
Then you've got the wrong coil for a Stag. It should still run, but might run better if you either source the right coil, or bypass the ballast resistor (so the 3 ohm coil gets a full 12v as it is supposed to).

Randall

ham204mg Avatar
ham204mg Mario Psaila
Mosta, napp, Malta   MLT
In reply to # 1337387 by TR3driver
In reply to # 1337379 by ham204mg I have 3 ohms touching +ve and -ve with the ignition off and 9k ohms touching the centre electrode with +ve . I also have 6 volts touching the +ve and -ve with the ignition on.
Then you've got the wrong coil for a Stag. It should still run, but might run better if you either source the right coil, or bypass the ballast resistor (so the 3 ohm coil gets a full 12v as it is supposed to).

Thanks, I thought that the above numbers did not match up. Should I ask for a 6v Ignition coil from the shop or do v8's have their own specific requirements?

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1337396 by ham204mg Should I ask for a 6v Ignition coil from the shop
That should be fine. Not really any specific coil for a V8.

Randall

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links