Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jeremybsavage Avatar
jeremybsavage Jeremy Savage
rhode island, USA   USA
This is not a sales post! I don't have any affiliation with the seller at all. He called me last night to get a quote to get his stag up and running and I told him he would be better off selling it. It is a 1972 automatic. He did a full restoration on it about 15 years ago and it has sat since then. Only one small spot of perforation in the subframe. Underside actually looks great--really really good. The interior is very dirty and would likely need to come all apart to be cleaned. It is all there though. Basically a neglected car that was totally restored. Paint looks like it will largely come back to nice-driver quality. What is this thing worth? I told him I would do some research for him.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Hard to say with just that description. If the motor is locked up, it won't be worth much. Stag motors can be easily destroyed just by not changing coolant on schedule.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...whats "not worth much" as I have a 73 stag that I started restoring many years ago an auto then put it in the barn. I collected the parts for the manual conversion but never got around to it....so a guesstimate of value would be nice..smoking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Red06SS Andy Nichols
Waterford, Michigan, USA   USA
In reply to # 1315632 by TR3driver Hard to say with just that description. If the motor is locked up, it won't be worth much. Stag motors can be easily destroyed just by not changing coolant on schedule.

That's a bit unfair, isn't it? Destroyed by not changing coolant on schedule? Seriously?

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1359649 by Red06SS
In reply to # 1315632 by TR3driver Hard to say with just that description. If the motor is locked up, it won't be worth much. Stag motors can be easily destroyed just by not changing coolant on schedule.

That's a bit unfair, isn't it? Destroyed by not changing coolant on schedule? Seriously?
Is that an over-simplification? Sure. But for a one-line summary, I think it's reasonably accurate.

Soft aluminum alloy heads firmly clamped to a cast iron block. Only thing that keeps them from setting up an electrolytic cell and corroding away is the anti-corrosion additive in the coolant. The additive wears out over time, whether you drive the car or not. On top of that, not much corrosion allows coolant to leak into the gaps between the head and studs. The gaps are small, so any corrosion there can lock the head firmly to the stud, making removal very difficult. (Having the bolts not parallel to the studs makes the job just that much tougher.)

And the heads have almost no margin for resurfacing. Almost any corrosion damage means that they have to either be replaced, or welded up and remachined. However, I do see that Rimmers now has new heads available again, only $4000 or so for the pair.

But the motor still wouldn't be locked up at that stage. If it's locked, most likely the leakage has extended to one or more cylinders, meaning severe corrosion in that cylinder. Again, not much margin for reboring cylinders, so that often means installing sleeves.

All can be done, of course, so perhaps "destroyed" is a bit of an exaggeration. But the costs add up in a hurry, especially if you have to pay someone else to do the work for you. Pretty quickly, you've got as much invested in the engine as the entire car would be worth after repairing all the other inevitable problems. All caused because someone parked it full of coolant, and left it set for a decade without paying attention.

Just my opinion though, feel free to disagree. YMMV, NFI and all that.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster