AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dudleybeyler dudley beyler
granger, Indiana, USA   USA
1971 Triumph 1500 "ZIPPY"
1971 Triumph 1500 "ZIPPY"
Andrew,

Thanks for the in put! Does the serial # tell you it's a 66? Should I send in to the state for a correction?

Sorry about the body #, I should have cleaned it up more. I am surprised you could read it as well as you did.

Dudley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
First, Scott is right about parts generally being obtained best from England. There are several very good suppliers (and a few ok ones as well). Parts generally are cheaper from them, although shipping gets painful; still, you're likely to come out ahead, and there are things you simply can't get in the US. Details upon request! smiling smiley

In reply to # 1215338 by dudleybeyler Does the serial # tell you it's a 66? Should I send in to the state for a correction?

You could try. I had quite the struggle with a misdated car a couple of years ago. See this entry and the follow up to same on my web site. Most likely you will need to obtain a Heritage Certificate or at least a Dating Letter to prove the date of the car.

Note that the car probably was actually built sometime in the first half of the 1965 calendar year. Most of the cars I have listed around yours seem to have ended up as 1966 models when first sold and titled, but you might even end up with a 1965 model year designation; that's up to your DMV unless you can find some first-sale documentation or old registrations to establish what the initial selling dealer called it.

In reply to # 1215338 by dudleybeyler Sorry about the body #, I should have cleaned it up more. I am surprised you could read it as well as you did.

Well, it was a bit of a guess, based on data I already have on cars near yours! Was I close? winking smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Oxford, oxfordshire, UK   GBR
This is my first car, it is a Herald 12/50 Skylight Saloon, freshly restored by my Dad and I (from scratch after 26 years sat in a garage), with still a few little things to do. It is however mostly done, with new tyres being fitted since these photos (taken at woodcote rally). Cheers, Alwyn.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DAD'S PICS 155.JPG    58.5 KB
DAD'S PICS 155.JPG

DAD'S PICS 139.JPG    37 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DAD'S PICS 151.JPG    59.5 KB
DAD'S PICS 158.JPG    64.5 KB
And a few of the engine bay etc...

Which I spent literally weeks painting and detailing by the way smiling smiley

smiling smiley Cheers

Attachments:
DAD'S PICS 145.JPG    57 KB
DAD'S PICS 145.JPG

DAD'S PICS 146.JPG    57.2 KB
DAD'S PICS 148.JPG    60.8 KB
DAD'S PICS 149.JPG    61.1 KB
ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
That Herald is outstanding in its field!

Scott

Thank you and nice Pun thumbs updrinking smiley, also sorry for getting so carried away with the pictures!!!
Cheers, Alwyn.

Honestwelsh Colin H
Bridgend, Wales, UK   GBR
If only I could find someone older than myself, and I am sixty five, and very competent with a set of spanners, to tune my strombergs, so they would sing together in tune like a pair of love birds, I would be very happy, these carbs have been off more times than a naughty girls underwear, and I just can't get them to work in harmony, diaphrams, float hight adjustment,needle valves, jets, and a long list of other adjustments explained in the Manuel, turn the jets down three turns, from the bridge as a starting point, undo the throttle linkage, turn the idle screws back all the way, and turn back one complete turn, more chance of winning the lottery, the only way to learn about anything, is to listen and watch someone doing that job, but there's no one still alive that can help me, apart from that the vitesse has had three owners from new still has lacker paint work and needs a respray is mint and original inside, done 46000 miles first owner kept it for twenty seven years, hence the inside condition, and if I could get it in the bedroom, I would sleep with it, even with the carbs arguing with each other, Colin Harvey Wales UK

Attachments:
image.jpg    32.2 KB
image.jpg

image.jpg    34.6 KB
Brunow Avatar
Brunow Ruben Deboosere
West-Vlaanderen, Vlaanderen, Belgium   BEL
Sweet! Love the dark blue color!

Proud owner of a Triumph spitfire IV & restoring it one evening a week with my father.
--> http://triumphspitfireiv.blogspot.be
And as long as the triumph is not working i cruise around town with my old 1968 Bsa
--> http://bsabantam.blogspot.be

razorbobsr Bob Arnett
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
What tool are you using to check that the airflow is the same at both carbs? Have the shafts been re-bushed? Have you used either spray to check for shaft leaks? Bob USA

Honestwelsh Colin H
Thanks for that Bob, went to the expense of buying an obsolete British crypton tune, meter, that basically pushes hard against the air filter intake and reads the intake of air, both equal when throttle bar is released to balance, both adjusting screws set away from stop, shaft bushes have very little side movement, not enough to be suspect, have just read all tune up details this afternoon, and the one thing I have not tried which was a good idea is to check the diaphram in the closed circuit breather to the inlet manifold , a faulty valve would create an extra intake of air and cause an imbalance? What do you think, thanks again Bob, Colin

razorbobsr Bob Arnett
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
I would get a more modern tester. If the bushing in the carbs get egg shaped and they all do with time, they can leak just enough air to make balancing impossible. The will cause a come and go slightly lean/rish condition, and feels like they are out of syn, spray either at the bushing as see what happens.You will be able to tell for sure whats leaking!

Honestwelsh Colin H
Good advice Bob, will try it in the morning, spray the spindle bushes, and get back to you with results, Colin, PS keep thinking

cut Avatar
cut Steve Rains
Springfield, Arkansas, USA   USA
Beautiful car. my favorite one at the show in Fayetteville last fall.
Steve

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster