Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

9543se61 Avatar
9543se61 Samuel Depont
Liege, Liege, Belgium   BEL
Hi everybody, I'm new to this community (though I've been lurking from the outside for quite a bit now haha) so to make it short:
my name's Sam, I'm 22 and I'm currently restoring a '68 1200 convertible for which I'll make a proper thread once I get a little more time on my hands...

I'm in the middle of disassembling my rear half-shafts, I've (finally!!) gotten the hubs off and now's the time for the trunnions to go...
Now, is there any specific tool or way to proceed to extract them and the bearings off of the shafts? I really don't want to do any damage and since the
garage manual says to use yet another Churchill tool to get the trunnion and bearings off at the same time I was wondering if anybody had any tips
or tricks on how to do that?

cheers

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Usually getting the trunnion/bearing housing off is not difficult.

Try letting the axel shaft end drop onto a block of plywood on the floor, this should drive it off.

Mark the possition of the grease shield on the axel wit tape. This can be used as a gauge on how far to drive the new bearing assembly when putting things back together.

9543se61 Avatar
9543se61 Samuel Depont
Liege, Liege, Belgium   BEL
Good call on marking the grease shield position, I'll do that.

And as far as dropping the axle on a block wood is concerned, that only worked for one of them (still three to go and they really won't budge) and I reckon it did so because it still had the vertical link bolted to it (both the link and trunnion were badly damaged on that one, impossible to get them apart) ...

Would it be safe to use a large claw-type extractor to get the three remaining trunnions off?

Sam

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster