Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

caddis Chip Addis
Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Greetings,
So it seems my clutch master cylinder fluid is completely emptying when car sits overnight or for period of time. Doesn't seem to happen while driving, although, maybe it's just coincidence when I've checked periodically. Fortunately, it's not draining interior although clutch pedal is a little damp. So, first question, is this a small project that a novice like me (who is pretty good at figuring things out) can take on? Or, should I outsource? Should I buy a completely new unit or can it be repaired? If new, what brand should I buy (see pic)?
I've read a little about the slave cylinder and bleeding of the line. Should I (can I?) change slave? Is bleeding of the line as tricky as it seems from what I've read on this forum?
Any advice or recommendations is most welcome!
As always, thank you in advance for all the help!
Chip Addis

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3998.JPG    51.1 KB
IMG_3998.JPG

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
If the job were mine to do, I'd remove both master and slave cylinders, disassemble them, and see if they're rebuildable. So long as the bores are not pitted or scored, they should be. I greatly prefer OEM kits such as those from TRW (successor company to Girling): SP1963 for the master, and probably SP2001 for the slave. You might need to first determine which slave cylinder you have. The SP2001 kit is the one with a large rubber boot for the end of the cylinder. If you have the later cylinder with the metal end cap, you need SP2348(X).

Worst case scenario is that you'd need to replace one or both cylinders with new ones. Again, I greatly prefer NOS or the OEM TRW products when available, as I've not had great luck with aftermarket versions.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Bleeding the cluch system will be necessary. It is NOT difficult, and definitely with the clutch (as opposed to the brakes), a one person job.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
caddis Chip Addis
Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Thanks for all the feedback. I have attached a couple of photo's which I think depict a slave cylinder leak, but, I thought I would confirm that with the experts...
If it appears the slave needs to be replaced, can anyone tell me which type of slave I have and what I should replace it with? Also, I am going to replace the clutch master cylinder at the same time and seems pretty clear which brand I will replace it with. I think I am good to go in that regard.
Also, to release the slave from it's housing, do I simply unscrew what appears to be a locking nut? Or, should the entire housing with two nuts be removed?
Thanks, as always for your help!
Chip Addis

Attachments:
IMG_4049.JPG    61.5 KB
IMG_4049.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG    67.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Chip, per my previous post, you'll know which slave cylinder you have as soon as you get it out; just look for either a rubber or metal end cap. As to removal, I usually find it easier for both removal and replacement to undo the two bolts holding the bracket to the bellhousing, then take the slave off the bracket.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster