AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Herald Dashboard
  This topic is about my 1960 Triumph Herald
OZUSA60 Avatar
OZUSA60 Silver Member Carl Grady
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   USA
Looking to get wood facia for 1960 Herald Coupe dashboard (3 gauges ..see attached photo ) LHD . Would welcome template to copy or cut if an option.

Thank you ..

also open to any recommendations for boosting HP on my 948 cc including engine/drivetrain upgrades to suit early model chassis

(Andy M are you out there ?
CG

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
338265-620x412.jpg    31.7 KB
338265-620x412.jpg

rustbuckit2011 Frank Zappa
auckland, auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Hi Carl,
By far the best way to boost the power of the engine is to swap it with a 1147cc unit from a later model herald or better yet, spitfire.
The 998cc engines are wonderful little things, but were fairly woeful on power even when new. The late 1147's retain some degree of originality and offer you 48-63 bhp (ish) as opposed to your 34 (!). I wouldnt recommend fitting any larger capacity engine as you will be running a mk1 chassis- it simply will not cope with the extra power of the 1300 or 1500 engines.
If you dont want to swap engines, you would do well to fit mk1 or 2 spitfire cam, carbs and exhaust manifold- the head can also benefit from a fair amount of porting and flowing

jamesbscott2012 Avatar
jamesbscott2012 James Scott
Lakeport, CA, USA   USA
I have a fairly good three gauge wood dash from an early Sports 6. It should be the same. I will take few photos and get back to you if you are interested. James from Lakeport CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1487473 by OZUSA60 Looking to get wood facia for 1960 Herald Coupe dashboard (3 gauges ..see attached photo ) LHD . Would welcome template to copy or cut if an option.

Thank you ..

also open to any recommendations for boosting HP on my 948 cc including engine/drivetrain upgrades to suit early model chassis

(Andy M are you out there ?
CG
I'm here, Carl; better late than never (I hope)!

This is a kinda tough order here in the US. Wood facias were a factory option for the early Heralds (so were door cappings ala Vitesse or Sports 6), but they were very rare, probably unknown in the US.

What you need to start with -- at least as a model for the basic dash itself -- is to find an early Herald 1200 dash that's at least intact enough to provide a template. The good of that is that you can a: see how the back of the dash is shaped/milled, and b: you can see how the cutouts are shaped to "overlay" the various switches and knobs. The bad of that is that the Herald 1200 in the US only had the larger speedometer and one small (temp) gauge. So you would need to carefully measure where your gauges are and make yourself a gauge template. Also, you need the early 1200 dash, as they could be put directly over existing switches and such; only the gauges would be flush to the finished surface.

This image might help you to visualize how the "overlay" thing works:

Summary: start with a true "blank" in the form of a nice piece of quality marine plywood; get your switch / knob / etc. template from the old Herald 1200 dash; get your 3-gauge placement from your original dash; measure twice, cut once, etc.; choose your veneer; enjoy!

Worst case scenario: I might be able to lend you an early dash for copying.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

jamesbscott2012 Avatar
Lakeport, CA, USA   USA
Oops, I had it wrong. I have the older two gauge type. Sorry. James

jamesbscott2012 Avatar
Lakeport, CA, USA   USA
I attached image of two wood facias that I have. James

Attachments:
IMG_20170926_124420514.jpg    55.4 KB
IMG_20170926_124420514.jpg

jamesbscott2012 Avatar
Lakeport, CA, USA   USA
Attached is the image of the dash I am going to restore. Taxing project to say the least . James

Attachments:
IMG_20170926_124440160.jpg    46.1 KB
IMG_20170926_124440160.jpg

OZUSA60 Avatar
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   USA
thank you for the advice ..much appreciated

OZUSA60 Avatar
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   USA
thank you much appreciated

OZUSA60 Avatar
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   USA
Andy, much appreciated ......I will see what I can create..had one in Australia only it was RHD . ...Any ideas on engine/drivetrain upgrades (or anyone you would trust/recommend?) I am in Nth NJ

Carl 973 903 5334

OZUSA60 Avatar
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   USA
YES PLEASE THANK YOU

OZUSA60 Avatar
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   USA
Tracing the outline of one would be helpful guage configuration is different on mine switches and glove box the same

OZUSA60 Avatar
Ridgewood, NJ, USA   USA
yes it will be worthwhile once completed ....

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Will this one do any good for you? Available cheap.
Dan

Attachments:
Herald dash2.jpg    33.3 KB
Herald dash2.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links