New to Triumph Cars, need help!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

masonarmstrong Mason Armstrong
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA   USA
Hello! I am new to the forum and new to English cars in general. I am an American car guy and that's what I have always worked on. Recently I have decided to take on a new project though. My grandfather has had a 1962 Triumph Vitesse Sports 6 sitting in the back of his barn for several years now and we have decided to get it back on the road. Neither of us know very much about these cars but it looks like it's going to be an interesting project. One of the first issues I have had is the clutch fluid. In America we don't have anything called clutch fluid so I assume it is one of the brake fluids. Does anyone know what I can use for the clutch? It has a new brake and clutch master cylinder so I also need to know what type of brake fluid it uses. Another thing I need to know is the fluid capacities, because I plan on changing all fluids. Another thing is, did these models not come with an oil dipstick? I looked for a while and could not find one. And finally, if there is anything you can think of that I should know of about these cars, please tell me, I'll never say no to an opportunity to learn. Thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In this instance, "clutch" fluid is also brake fluid; they are one and the same. Any good DOT3 or DOT4 fluid should be sufficient. (Some folks will advocate for DOT5 -- silicone fluid -- but that's a subject for another time.)

You should try to get hold of at least an Owners Manual or Workshop Manual. Download a scan of the original factory manual here; it will tell you just about anything you need to know.

The dipstick should be on the left-hand (driver's) side of the engine, just forward of the distributor but behind the generator.

As to what you should know, right now I'd say it's more a matter of what you should read, and my suggestion is that workshop manual. Assuming you have basic mechanical skills, there's not much that's outrageously "weird" about these cars mechanically, hydraulically, or electrically! If you know anyone local to you with a Triumph Herald, Spitfire or GT6, they can be a great resource, as all those cars are closely related to the Sports 6.

BTW, I happen to be The Vintage Triumph Register's vehicle consultant for the Triumph Vitesse/Sports 6 and Herald range. I also maintain a database of these cars in North America. Here is a direct link to that page!. I would love to add your car to this if it is not already listed (or if the listing is complete). Ideally, I'd like commission, engine and body numbers, paint and upholstery colors, and if the commission number (VIN) plate reads "Sports 6" or "Vitesse 6"; same for the badges on the trunk lid!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster