Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
Forty years ago I had a Vitesse as a daily driver in England. I think I paid about $US500 for it and it turned out to be as reliable as it was fun.

So my question: was the Vitesse built on the GT6 chassis? Or was it the GT6 drive train on a Herald chassis?

Thanks.

SR
73 TR6

SR

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, Illinois, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
all 3, Herald/Vitesse, GT6 Spit have similar chassis and other bits, some the same but all have there own unique differences - Vitesse/Herald chassis very similar but still a little diff, could use ether under either with some changes - Spit/Gt6 same deal as Herald/Vitesse - in a nutshell that's it

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
The main rails of all four chassis are broadly similar to each other. However, the Spitfire and GT6 use mostly the "backbone" with those two main rails and some small outriggers. The Herald and Vitesse have the "backbone" with much more perimeter support added.

Oh, and the wheelbase is 7.5" longer on the Herald/Vitesse!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Spit/GT6 chassis is six(?) inches shorter than the Herald/Vitesse, so not an exchange option, but everything else is brackets and so on, so solvable with a welder.

And as the Vitesse 1600 came in 1962, but the GT6 in 1966, well it couldn't be the other way around, but you know what I mean!
John

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
Thanks all.

I really enjoyed that Vitesse. Terrorized B roads in Suffolk.

I was prompted to ask because there is a drop head participating in a reliability run on east coast of USA, and I didn't know they existed.

SR

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Are you saying drophead Vitesse? Scarce in the UK, where far more saloons were sold. However, in the US, there were 679 Sports 6s sold in full US specification starting in late 1962; all of them were convertibles. Some Vitesse saloons were available in Canada, but never officially in the US. The Sports 6 was just too expensive to sell well here, were one could have a Falcon, Valiant or Corvair convertible for the same or less money (with the Mustang joining that fray in mid-1964, while Triumph was still struggling to sell off those 679 cars).

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
What year Vitesse did you have? I don't think North America got the 2 litre cars, let alone the MkII's with Rotoflex rear suspension.

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
It's said that, because a Triumph roof is held on by a few bolts, there are more "convertibles" today than ever left the factory!

John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Triumph TR3B

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links