Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rampaart P R
West Fargo, North Dakota, USA   USA
Greetings everyone!

As I am constantly amazed at the amount of knowledge in this forum, I'm seeking advice on how to remove the front floor pans on my 65 Herald Convertible. Sadly they are rusted through and need to be replaced. Any advice would greatly appreciated!

v/r

P

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, Illinois, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
I haven't started my frt pan replace yet but I highly recommend getting the new part before cutting anything up or out - I have a new frt pan from Rimmers I can send some pics to you so you have an idea - it's the stamped pan they sell, really nice looking piece

Ralph

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
I'm with Ralph on this. Also, I'd give some thought to using just what you need of the new panel. It might be a bit more cutting, but it also might otherwise make for as good (and easier) repair. But it all depends on just how extensive your rust is, of course!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rampaart P R
West Fargo, North Dakota, USA   USA
I do have a pair of the pressed pans from Rimmer Bros. I've seen videos of people cutting out the old ones but would like to know if there's a better way.

quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, Illinois, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
better or not is impossible to tell - each project, each person doing the job is different - my personal opinion is to cut/use the new panels/floor pans as much as possible and try to remove the old along spot welded seams or areas that are not as visible - imho, to hide the repair as much as possible, and I'm not talking about "under the carpet"

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I agree with Andrew, typically the side peices of the new panel is far more than you actually need. Plan what you NEED to remove, then decide how much of a lip on the sides you need to keep.

Pay attention to the base of the 'A' pillar, you may have to add some sheet metal there.

How good a welder are you?

You may find it easier to overlap and plug weld than attempt a butt joint and seam weld.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster