Window scraper trim

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TomMull Thomas Mulligan
Strafford, NH, USA   USA
During the repair of my broken door handle, I removed the clips from the window channel to separate the channel from the regulator to get better access to the handle. The window and channel dropped another couple of inches and gave plenty of access to the handle. The car had a crude but fresh paint job prior to my purchase and the window scraper seals were not installed. So what better time to do them. I read several earlier posts on this and other forums. I made up a tool from an old hack saw blade, heated to form the lip on the end. Then I spent more than an hour trying unsuccessfully to get the clips on. No dice. Out comes the window and channel along with the vent window assembly. That worked. The clips seem to go on relatively easily with access to the inside. No tool necessary. But now, the channel looks like it needs to be removed from the glass to fit it back in past the new seals.
Am I missing something? If anyone has actually installed the seals with the window in, would you describe how you did it or better yet, post some pictures. Specifically, if I put the clips on the scraper first, as recommended, I was unable to get the to get the seal low enough to start the retainers on the metal lip of the door top even if I cheated and bent them open a bit. Are the clips the same from different vendors? I do realize that the clips for the scrapper and the fuzzy seal are different. Do the commercially made tools e.g. Rimmers, work better than a bent blade?
I'll be glad to have the seals in place but it does seem like an awful lot of work and also glad I'm not working on a really nice paint job.
Tom

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
It is a job that requires patients, extra clips (so you are not constantly picking dropped ones out the bottom of the door) and a good tool.

My tool was made from a Thrift store bread knife (long, with a good handle) the 'hook' in the blade must hold the clip snug, I will even use glue if need be.

Make sure you get the clips in the depressions in the scraper. I have had Zero luck with the 'clips on the scraper' method.

Good luck.

TomMull Thomas Mulligan
Strafford, NH, USA   USA
Thanks, Tony. My tool held the clips tight until I pulled the a clip with it. I didn't try glue. Also have no depressions on any of the new scrapers. I do have depressions on one of the old ones that came in the boot with the car but it is not intact and I'm not sure it's an inside or outside seal.
At any rate, It's relatively easy to strip things apart and take the glass out. The seals go on easily then. Now if I can get the window down into the door with the seals on, I'll be in the clear. If not, I'm quite sure I can get it past the outer seal and then put the inner one back on with the tool. There is finger access for most of the inner one, even with the window in place.
Tom

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster