AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Parts may have the answers.
  This topic is about my 1978 Triumph Spitfire
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
I'm building a Spit6 and the engine came out of a GT6. Seems simple enough.
The engine was a early straight across manifold, so out of a '73, not what was expected, but the other engine was in parts all around the floor in boxes.
The early one really rev'd up well, just had major blow by and white smoke, so a rebuild was done. I ended up with almost 5 cars to do this little project, but the original boxes were all over the place, so got a small barn to stick it out of the way. Decided to go thru them as I putting them away and found a couple of small headlights 4001 4 1/2 inches with buckets, one single filament and other double.
Surprise they worked after being rattled around in a box for 40 years or more. They are T3 and very bright, might use the single in a old 6V spotlight I have.
This all tells me, my little buggie has a Vitesse engine, according to the parts boxes. Engine # KD 7482E may be a GT6 one, only Andy will know. Hi Andy, hope all is well with you.

Wayne

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 07:15 PM by trrdster.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1476704 by trrdster This all tells me, my little buggie has a Vitesse engine, according to the parts boxes. Engine # KD 7482E may be a GT6 one, only Andy will know. Hi Andy, hope all is well with you.
I'm hangin' in there, Wayne! grinning smiley

KD7428E would likely be a "Mk1" GT6 engine in "emissions" specification originally. I'm assuming, by the low number, that it is the early engine with the "narrow" head with exposed pushrod tubes and all ports more or less in a row. Am I right on those details?

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Andy, many thanks for the reply and information.
This is the straight across one and the manifolds are above the right side head bolts. This means to retorque the head the manifolds need to come off, so when doing one of these engines order an extra manifold gasket. I just use the old one until it's had one heat cycle, (run for 20 minutes at 2500 RPM's) .
It sure did rev to red line quick, even blowing white smoke and fogging the neighborhood, no bug problems so far this summer.
Jim (Scardini1) should be here shortly on the way back north and we are doing a friends Spit6 engine cam. He said he did his and it's the same as what we have, TSI S2, let the fun began, sorry you have to miss this.
Thanks again.

Wayne

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster