13/60 rubber bumper pieces

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TomMull Thomas Mulligan
Strafford, NH, USA   USA
I guess I am missing the not particularly inexpensive rubber pieces for both bumpers. (One of the muscle car people called me on it at the Hemmings show) Apparently they come in white. I'm not going to rush in an order as I have plenty of more pressing issue on the car but wonder what is correct and appropriate. Were they painted or just left white?
Here's a nicely sorted car, and another with the channel for the bumpers removed. Mine is the last. What do you think?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
herald2.jpg    69.2 KB
herald2.jpg

b4ccc12a0178e9134edfd7003257dd56--triumph-herald-british-invasion.jpg    11.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1010037.JPG    45 KB
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Dating back to when the cars were nearly new -- as was my driving experience -- I learned to greatly appreciate the value of the rubber bumpers. Yes, they are expensive, but there's a pretty good chance you'll get 30-40 years or more out of the next set. And they are really very practical in absorbing minor bumps from -- whatever -- that otherwise would surely result in dents and probably paint chips as well. I think they are perhaps most useful in the rear, especially on the sides.

Beyond that, I really don't like the looks of any Herald without them. That's probably because it was many years before I discovered that they were only optional on the earliest series Heralds, except in the US, where they were always installed.

Besides, it would cost you more to remove the retaining strips and then do any patching, prepping and paint needed to make your valences look good again, than it would to get the bumper set, although I will concede that the alloy end caps are sometimes not easy to find!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I do remember seeing extruded aluminiun bumpers (or bumper covers) in the UK.
I am not sure if they were aftermarket.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Tony, you're probably thinking of the Vitesse bumper trims, which are a ribbed alloy.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
They could well be Vittesse items, but more than a few times Ihave seen them on 13/60's

Attachments:
image.jpeg    55.5 KB
image.jpeg

at1_3.jpg    66.4 KB
76e5ee3b2374066f75082591d1960f2a--cars-uk-running.jpg    30.3 KB
TomMull Thomas Mulligan
Strafford, NH, USA   USA
Thanks all. I do have the channels for them still on the bumpers so will install the rubbers before next summer. Tom

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster