Herald 13/60 outside door handle

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TomMull Thomas Mulligan
Strafford, NH, USA   USA
I've been putting a few miles on the Herald this summer and consequently finding a few issues. The latest was my drivers door handle failed to open the door. Nice weather so if I left the window open it was no problem but I now have it out and trying to sort.
The problem was he the bolt on the end, which actuates the latch and also apparently holds the cylinder in, came loose. It loosened just enough to allow the cylinder to back out of the handle just far enough to miss the two raises guides that hold it in place.
My questions are 1. Is that bolt the only thing that holds the cylinder in the handle? 2. If so, should it have a double nut or something as it seems to be used also as the activator that pushes on the latch to open the door? (I'd buy a new latch but they seem NLA and the other side doesn't help much as it is non locking and slightly different.)
All comments welcome.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
door handle.jpg    40.2 KB
door handle.jpg

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
I don't know if this will help or not (and I admit that I've little experience with the later door handles), but it appears from the Spare Parts Catalogue that there is an "e" clip or two involved in holding things together.

page from the Canley Classics online 13/60 catalogue

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

TomMull Thomas Mulligan
Strafford, NH, USA   USA
Thanks for the link, Andy. That would make more sense than what I have but I don't remember seeing a groove for the clip. I've got it all back together with loctite on the bolt (which doesn't seem to appear in Canley's diagram) and will get the clip ordered for the next time it comes apart.
By the way, if I didn't have a friend in Bennington, it would be a 3+ hour drive home in the dark after Hemmings and I certainly wouldn't be there often.
Tom

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
caddis Chip Addis
Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Tom,
So, this may seem like a dumb question, but, how do you access the insides of the cylinder to replace the clips? Through the latch on the door or do I have to take the panel off the door etc?
My cylinder is backing out of the handle, just as you described, Tom.
Thanks,
Chip Addis

TomMull Thomas Mulligan
Strafford, NH, USA   USA
Not a dumb question at all and hope my answer isn't either.
First you need access to the inside so you need to take off the inside door handles and card. The outside handle is held in by two hex fasteners easily removed through little access holes in the door with a 1/4 drive socket and extension. In my case there were two nuts on the working end of the push button and the first of the two had come loose. It's the one that acts as a lock to hold the threaded part of the actuator ( a bolt) in place.
I think it might have been to possible fix my issue without removing the handle but it's just as easy to remove it and allows you to see how it works and to fix other problems if necessary.
I think the clip Andy referred to above holds the cylinder in and mine was not removed.
Sorry, only gave the one photo.
Hope this helps.
Tom

caddis Chip Addis
Thanks, Tom! Tackled it today and seems I got by with a simple washer! Chip

TomMull Thomas Mulligan
Strafford, NH, USA   USA
Good for you. It is a real pain to have to go in from the passenger side to open the door. Do you have a picture of the 1200?

Here's the 13/60

Tom

Attachments:
Ins Photo.jpg    41.5 KB
Ins Photo.jpg

caddis Chip Addis
Great looking car, Tom!
Thanks for sharing...
1200 attached.

Attachments:
IMG_3757.JPG    43.3 KB
IMG_3757.JPG

TomMull Thomas Mulligan
Strafford, NH, USA   USA
Yours appears to be tidy and nicely sorted. Thanks for the picture. Mine looks OK from 25 feet and I'm working on the many missing details. Put well over 1000 fun miles on it this summer. Tom

caddis Chip Addis
What's on your to-do list?
Always great to compare notes!

TomMull Thomas Mulligan
Strafford, NH, USA   USA
As long as nothing serious before I get to this:
Last summer I re-did the throttle linkage to resemble the Spitfire's.

Much better but next I want to do a Spit cable and accelerator pedal. Got a pedal on Craigslist nd have a friend who might be able to fabricate the cable.

Also installed the missing window seals along the top of the door when I had the card off. Still need to do the other side but the task was such a pain that I put it off.

Just found some very bad suspension bushings on my TR3 so will be into that before I get back on the Herald so may have a busy Fall.
Tom

Attachments:
carb link3.jpg    44.9 KB
carb link3.jpg

caddis Chip Addis
Yes, always something!
I have to replace my clutch master cylinder. Seems like something I can do, but, just not sure about how to bleed the line...
Also, the front seal on the motor needs to be replaced as I'm getting a bit too much oil dripping on my garage floor as evidenced by the plastic tarp under my car.
But, besides those two issues, I think I'm in pretty good shape...today anyway!
Nice chatting with you and good luck. Keep in touch!
Chip

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster