Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bikeboy Avatar
bikeboy Silver Member Ian F
Lara, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi guys. I'm investigating the possibility of adding a Hi/Low beam switch to the stalk o my TR6 which currently only has an off/park/headlight function, with the dipping done by a floor-mounted dipper. Someone suggested that the Herald unit has the dipping function on the stalk, and I was wondering if this is correct, and if I could swap units after a bit of re-wiring?
Any thoughts?
cheers

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
It depends on a: what vintage of Herald and b: for what market it was built. But what I think you're really looking for is from a late Mk3 or MkIV or early 1500 Spitfire. Those had a master lighting switch on the dashboard (off-side-head) and a two-position column switch (dipped-main) with a "flash-to-pass" feature.

I'm not as thoroughly familiar with all the variations of the TR6, but what your TR6 has sounds very similar to the kind of setup that North American market Heralds and early Spitfires (and pretty much ONLY those cars) had. Most other Heralds and Spitfires would have had a "master lighting switch" on the dashboard, and the column switch would have been side-main-dipped (three positions total) and, in some cases, flash-to-pass function as well.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

pont629 Silver Member Fred E
Colo Vale, NSW, Australia   AUS
1929 DeSoto Series K-SA
1970 Triumph Vitesse Mark 2 "Tessa"
1981 Triumph TR7 "Trevor"
Hi Ian,
I'm just south of Sydney and own a 1970 Vitesse 2Ltr mk11
the lighting is controlled buy a master switch on the dash and a switch on the steering column which gives side main head and dip.in that order.
the master switch is just a standard Lucas toggle switch, but the column switch is I believe all part of the indicator switch mounted opposite on the column.
I have to say I would prefer a system with a floor dipper!

regards Fred

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bikeboy Avatar
bikeboy Silver Member Ian F
Lara, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Thanks fellas. I was hoping to find an entirely column-mounted solution, because I'd rather not mess with my pristine dash :-(
It's starting to look like I need to mount an under-dash toggle to switch beams. I'm hoping to eliminate the floor-mounted switch because space is tight in the foot-well, and my big clumsy feet struggle to locate the switch quickly, so it's a bit of a safety issue for on-coming traffic.
thanks guys.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster