Suspension bushes Polly or not?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

coupe  948 downunder Avatar
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   AUS
I have just checked the front and rear passenger side brakes and they look like new shoes all around to me and no leaks from the slaves either, anyway wheels now turn easily so after a quick cuppa with the wife I will go down and do the other side. which I expect will be just as good. That said I have a question for other Triumph owners namely I want to replace the suspension bushes which all look a bit old and perished so do I get the original type or are the poly bushes better? I have polly bushes in my Clubbie and they do seem to work well for that but I have no experience with the Herald suspension.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
"Poly" covers a lot of territory, in both firmness and in quality. Personally, I'm not a fan, preferring the original type rubber bushes when I do have to replace same. But then, I've managed to collect a decent personal supply of NOS rubber bushes.

Also, from what I've seen over the years, the bushes don't necessarily need replacement simply because they're approaching 60 years old! A bit of deterioration where the rubber is most exposed is to be expected, but the bush might still be fine.

Oh, and then there's the issue of poor quality rubber in some repro OE-style rubber bushes. So you pay your money and take your choice...just don't shop on price alone, whether you go OE-style rubber or poly. Go for known brands from known good suppliers, and be sure to ask questions of the suppliers and of other Herald owners.

Hope that helps...and I know others might have slightly different opinions! grinning smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I went with poly steering rack mounts and roll bar bushings, but all the others were rubber.

I did this on the advice of a friend that regretted fitting poly bushings to his wish bones.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, Illinois, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
being a MkI frame, the weak one, I would hesitate to put the added stress on the frame rails in front - if you had the later MkII frame under her I would not hesitate if you wanted an improvement in response

coupe  948 downunder Avatar
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   AUS
hi Ralph
The strength of the frame will be more than enough for may rather sedate driving style these days and given that like so many other examples my frame has absolutely no rot even after ist 58 years of life I really don't think I have much to worry about when it comes to the strength of the chassis.

I am simply not going to be replacing the bushings so I can drive like a maniac my desire is to ensure that I don't have to do it again.
that said I am taking what Andrew says:

In reply to a post by andrew Mace Also, from what I've seen over the years, the bushes don't necessarily need replacement simply because they're approaching 60 years old! A bit of deterioration where the rubber is most exposed is to be expected, but the bush might still be fine.
as wise words form one who knows and I have decided that Bush replacement can go on the back burner for a while.

quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, Illinois, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
just a side note on my previous - yes, spirited driving will put added stress on the frame, not really my main concern, more concern goes in the direction of increased road shock, a constant every time the car hits the road...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster