My Coupe was last on the road in 1970

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

coupe  948 downunder Avatar
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   AUS
thought that you maybe interested in the details of my car that I now have in my hot little hands
The commission number is Y4240 and the body number is 968 KB

Its has the original paint Coffee and white but its not very flash most of the interior is all original except the rear seat squab is red instead of the pale tan like the rest of upholstery It starts and runs and I drove it a short distance from the trailer to my workshop where I have been giving it a very through examination. The brakes are dragging but I expect that will be easily fixed The electrical system seems to work but the generator light does not go out when the engine is running.I will probably replace the gennie with an alternator just to ensure that it has reliable electrics the radiator hoses don't leak but are as hard as rock so would likely fail soon The tires are quite hard and well past it even though they have plenty of tread left I would not trust them to do anything other than keep the rims off the ground while I work on the car.
I was thinking of not painting the car and I can certainly put off doing so right away by focusing on getting it mechanically sorted enough to drive it as a rolling restoration and then I can make her really pretty again My intention is to keep it the stock color scheme
The engine block is painted maroon the water pump is green Its only missing a a couple of trim items I believe that It should have "herald" badges on the tail fins instead of the crossed flags and its missing the side chrome strip on the passenger side of the bonnet The guy my brother got the car from damaged the bonnet when he unloaded of a tilt tray and then forget to put the hand brake on allowing in to roll down a slight slope and hit the truck the damage is not that much but It has made it come a bit to far back onto the scuttle and it fouls the passenger door when you try to open it I suspect that the tubular bonnet frame has been slightly bent, I can't find any way to adjust it so I may have to re bend it a little to bring the whole bonnet structure about 7 mm forward to open up the gap a little. I have seen that later cars have adjustable cones that then bonnet sits on mine has an inclined bracket with what seems like canvas webbing on it that the bonnet rests on. Even the wipers work but of course their rubbers are toast. Likewise the door and boot rubbers are simply hard as a rock and have to be replaced

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMGP2407.JPG    28.6 KB
IMGP2407.JPG

IMGP2409.JPG    27.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMGP2412.JPG    32.6 KB
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Lovely car :-)

Cars later than yours had the rubber cones supporting the bonnet.

Does your car have a handle in the middle of the bonnet?

Yes it does have a handle in the middle of the bonnet

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
What is the serial # it would be interesting to know just hoe early it is.

As I understand it, Heralds were sent 'down under' as components, packed in a special crate. But I did not think that models were shipped that early in prduction.

I used to own a 60 convertable back in the UK.

The commission number is Y4240 and the body number is 968 KB

Attachments:
IMGP2423.JPG    36.7 KB
IMGP2423.JPG

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Also here in OZ, but in Vic & not as early as yours and a convertible with Comm No. Y15930CV, I don't have a body No. plate as I brought the rear tub, doors and many other bits as a job lot to convert a 68 Mk2 Vitesse from saloon to conv. It came with a separate alum plate (3in by 1.5in) fitted by AAMI (OZ Assemblers) re the Aus assembled No. ie knock down kit No. 916KD. By the Comm No I believed it to be around a 1960 model. It too came with the big bonnet handle. By some of the chassis to body mounting bits I think it might have had the earlier chassis type.
Regards

Peter T

Well I'm always glad to hear from other Aussie triumph owners because networking is essential when you own one of these cars and I personally think taht the early ones like ours have the best styling, I just can't love the Vittesse front as much as the original no matter how much I try
Have you joined the Triumph Herald International on face book ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/triumphherald/ ) because it seems to have quite a few other Aussies there?

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1463784 by Peter Truman Also here in OZ, but in Vic & not as early as yours and a convertible with Comm No. Y15930CV, I don't have a body No. plate as I brought the rear tub, doors and many other bits as a job lot to convert a 68 Mk2 Vitesse from saloon to conv. It came with a separate alum plate (3in by 1.5in) fitted by AAMI (OZ Assemblers) re the Aus assembled No. ie knock down kit No. 916KD. By the Comm No I believed it to be around a 1960 model. It too came with the big bonnet handle. By some of the chassis to body mounting bits I think it might have had the earlier chassis type.
Regards

Peter T
Peter, information I have shows that Y15930CV would date from July-August 1960, so good guess on your part. And yes, that would've been the early chassis style, which continued on until July 1962, when all Heralds got the revised, stronger chassis developed for the Vitesse.

Did you end up converting your Vitesse?

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Ao how early do you think mine is Andrew? The number is Y4240 and the body number is 968 KB whch is more than 10,000 lower than Peter's number

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
Iain, Y4240 would be in the late November 1959 range, but it could have been assembled a bit later than that?.

Well I now have some idea at least which is more than I had before anyway I have been making progress and hope to have her back on the road very soon

Attachments:
20170609_133841.jpg    40.7 KB
20170609_133841.jpg

IMGP2428a.JPG    27 KB
Happy to report that my coupe is now registered and legal to use on the public roads of course there is still lots to do first of which is to fix an oil leak from the front seal which is very annoying I am off to the bearing supply people today to buy the seal and fitting it should be my weekend amusement.
As expected the 948 engine is not the strongest ever fitted to a Herald, climbing the mountain I live on is something of a grind to be honest, so I am thinking of more power.
I may have the option of fitting a 1200 engine but I'm wondering if there would be any advantage of using my existing head to give the engine an increased compression ratio. That t way I could retain the H1 carbs and relatively stock appearance but get an improved oiling system more engine capacity. I already run the car on premium gas so I don't think that the increased compression would be an issue. By the same token I know that the H1 carbs are not the biggest that I could run but they have to be better than a single down draft carb and the ones I have are in top notch condition

Finally I am well aware of the strength (or lack there of) issues with the MK1 chassis and I have plans to address them with some judicious reinforcing of the diff mounting, the outriggers and the outer rails to increase stiffness/strength of the whole car likewise I have seen the pictures of the obvious weakness where the lower front A arms attach to the chassis and I plan some reinforcing there too

Attachments:
20170726_142520.jpg    57.1 KB
20170726_142520.jpg

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
I'm sorry to say that I only know what I've been told over the years. What I've been told is that there was when folks racing Spitfires liked to use the 948 twin-carb head on their 1147s; apparently it was a pretty good head and yielded some advantage(s)!

As I see it Andrew with modern fuels we can certainly reliably run higher compression ratios without suffering detonation I don't know what it would work out to (there is probably some math Guru here who could work it out but that is beyond me ) I did read an old thread here where you talked about fitting a 948 head on an 1147 (1200) and that it would be necessary to use the 1147 head gasket,As I understand it the valves are a touch bigger on the 1147 but that would only make a difference at higher revs and the higher compression ratio would likely yield more power than the valve size would loose. I'm after a bit more grunt for the hills around here and more relaxed cruising rather than making a race car.

Another plus would be the engine bay would remain pretty stock in appearance and not having to pay nearly 50 bucks a time for an oil filter would be a big improvement too !

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
ref the oil filter there is an adapter for 1200 engines to convert from the older Triumph thread to a more modern thread and filter the NZ Trademe site currently has the thread converter for sale ref;
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/triumph/auction-1377265428.htm

It also has a photo defining the modern alternative filter, new filter Z418. I've used one ( on our Mk2, 1200 Spit) for nearly 20years.

Rather than just the 1200 block why not go the whole hog and fit a Spit Mk2 1200 engine and extractors it gives a very big boost in HP to 67.

A friend here in Vic has upgraded his Coupe and is very happy.

Regards
Peter T

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster