Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, New York, USA   USA
I have taken off the front drums of my Herald and replaced them with the spit assembly in the usual manner. The calipers are the #14 type. At the time I got the parts I bought the left and right brackets that mount to the turrets where the flexible brake lines and the hard lines join. I remember when I took the car apart that there was a provision thru the "engine side shields" where this happened. The car is just a chassis with the engine out now and I want to start running the brake lines. I need to know If I should plan on routing the lines using the spit style brackets or dry fit the side shields and plan on attaching them at that point.

Another question about the flexible brake lines. I bought a set of stainless brake lines for a spitfire last year when I was just trying to get the car rolling enough to test run it before the restoration began. I got the front and back brake lines but there were differences in the ends of the front and back. The shorter back lines had what would be expected with the shorter threaded connection with the copper washer that screwed into the wheel cylinder and the longer threaded blunt domed end with the locknut that the hard line that came from the distribution block would attach to.

The longer front flexible brake lines had the same longer threaded blunt domed ends with the locknuts on both sides. Is this correct? It seems wrong to me and wouldn't surprise me if I ordered the wrong lineset.

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3316s.jpg    53.7 KB
IMG_3316s.jpg

IMG_3727.JPG    33.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, Illinois, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
ok, on the front I would go with the Spit hard lines/flex hoses - the shorter the flex line the better the brake feel - the caliper ends should be the short threads with a copper washer against the caliper body

on the front you have the wrong lines

the rear, short threads copper washer to whl cyl, long end passes through a bracket, is retained by nut and a female acorn fitting with a common double flare steel line will seal it

call me if you want and I'll send some pics tonight

Ralph

ps, digging for second carb, pics show I have one on a manifold, 1st one has screw that won't come out - no fears, gotcha covered buddy

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Ralph's got you covered nicely here, and I agree with him 100%. This might help a bit more in terms of information:

Factory disc brake conversion instructions

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dadsturn Avatar
Thanks Andy. The link is Error code 404. Can you try again?

1966 Chevy Bel Air

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
The link works for me. You might try copying and pasting rather than just clicking on it?

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/discbrak.htm

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Dadsturn Avatar
That worked! Thanks.

1966 Chevy Bel Air

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."

Here's a couple pics from when I put together my Herald years ago: I converted to the Spitfire discs at that time, and everything was new...(If you click onthe link, you can go through my album on Photobucket, and see lots of neat Herald details which may help...)

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-17 05:07 AM by ng19delta.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster