Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, New York, USA   USA
Hi. I have a Solex B30 carb that has too much play in the throttle shaft. It hasn't been taken apart to know for sure but I understand that that the boss in the aluminum body wears and is usually the problem. I also understand that the solution is to get bushings installed. It has other issues that I know of as well. One is a stripped top cover screw and the other is a choke that stays about 10-15 degrees closed when "fully open". Who knows what else is going on with it. I can say that last fall when I got it running briefly it ran but with all the usual issues of a car that hasn't run in a long time. I chalked it up to carb that needed cleaning and a simple rebuild. Since that time I know the timing chain was severely worn and has been replaced which would partially explain the rough running. My point is that I believe the carb is good enough to save if I can get by these few flaws.

I have a rebuild kit with the brass throttle shaft. I need to find a shop with the knowledge and equipment that can install the bushings and rebuild it. I could do the rebuild if the shop did not want to. Anyone know of such a place? Preferably in the US but shipping to the UK is not out of the question. Thanks.

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
My first thought is to contact Joe Curto, although he does primarily SU and Stromberg carbs. I don't know if he'll do this kind of work on a Solex, but I suspect he could at least recommend someone?

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, New York, USA   USA
Thanks Andy! I'll give him a try.

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jtexcellon John R
Huntertown, indiana, USA   USA
I had Joe Curto do the carb bushings on my B30 about a year ago. Worked great. Google Joe Curto to get his info. Luckily, he had a fixture to this carb. John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster