Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, New York, USA   USA
Thinking ahead about the carb on my 1200. I would like to do a cam change and dual carbs but for now I may just rebuild the single Solex carb. My question is how do I know what carb I have. B28 ZIC? B30PSE1? I found thru past threads that the number past the B is the diameter of the throat of the carb in millimeters. I can use a bore mic to mearsure it but is that a definitive way to know. I looked early on for markings in the carb body that would lend a clue but did not see any. Doesn't mean they are not there, just didn't see them.

Here are some pictures of it.

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3550.JPG    42.5 KB
IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3551.JPG    40.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_3552.JPG    41.8 KB
IMG_3553.JPG    37.3 KB
IMG_3554.JPG    38.5 KB
Dadsturn Avatar
I wonder about myself sometimes! One of the pictures clearly shows B30PSE1 on the body. In looking for a rebuild kit, I saw that there were two types. Early and late 1200's. The numbers above are "L??64" (?). My herald is a 1964. Does that lend a clue?

1966 Chevy Bel Air

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
I'm pretty sure that the differences between early and later are minor and probably wouldn't affect what kit you got. I seem to remember, at one point, noticing some slight differences in the way the choke cable mounted up.

I'm sure a rebuild kit would be useful, most particularly for the top cover gasket, followed by the float valve and accelerator pump diaphragm. For the most part, all other jets usually clean up just fine and don't necessarily need to be replaced. The "slow-running" jet is the one that seems most likely to plug up with gunk and sediment. Sometimes it actually takes gentle prodding with a very fine single strand of wire to clear the hole in the end. If that's clear, and if the "gooseneck" jet spurts fuel when you work the linkage, you're more or less good to go!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dadsturn Avatar
Thanks Andy. Rimmer is back ordered for the rebuild kit and includes items I don't need like a new shaft and butterfly. Canley has the rebuild kit in stock but again, don't need the extra stuff. Canley is also back ordered for the Service Kit that has exactly everything I need. Basically, the accelerator pump leaks and it needs a good cleaning. Any other source you know of to get a Service Kit with needle, seat, gaskets and accelerator pump diaphragm?

1966 Chevy Bel Air

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Heck, Ed, I'd take the shaft and butterfly. I'm pretty sure one of my B30's could use them! winking smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Harl3ycarter Avatar
Harl3ycarter Andy Bradley
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Alexander Engineering did a conversation upgrade for the Herald 1200 (12/50) from Solex to twin Stromberg 125CD carbs. These inlet manifolds sometimes come up on eBay & the carb numbers should be 6034 -they are shown as fitted with 5D metering needles & natural lifter springs. Originally was a conversion for the Herald 12/50.

You'll need the full set up inlet manifold & carbs. You could consider

The other conversion would be to fit SU H2 1 1/4 inch twin carbs from a Spitfire Mk1 with it's inlet manifold. Hope this helps

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster