AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Front spring bowed
  This topic is about my 1964 Triumph Herald 1200
Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, New York, USA   USA
The spring does not run parallel to the shock. In the picture you can see where the spring is about 1" from the shock on one side and almost touching the shock on the other. Is this normal wear of the spring or is there an underlying problem with the suspension? I am ordering new springs and top retaining plates but I am curious as to why this happened. I believe the spring bowed away from the engine. In other words the side of the spring that is close to the shock faced the engine. Any ideas?

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2017-02-22 05.39.40.jpg    33.6 KB
2017-02-22 05.39.40.jpg

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
I've seen this a number of times, but I've never known it to cause any problems. Was this the LH or RH side? and did you have the spacer atop the LH assembly?

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, New York, USA   USA
Right side Andy. The left side was not as bad. There was something about 1/4" thick and looked to be aluminum between the top of the spring and below the top retaining plate. Is that the spacer you are referring to? If so, then yes. Will I need to install the spacer with new shocks and springs?

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
You probably do want to put the spacer back. It was put on the LH side spring of LH steering cars to compensate for the fact that both driver and (possibly full) fuel tank would be on that side!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster