TRExp

Herald & Vitesse Forum

Middle and rear sections welded together?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, New York, USA   USA
I think I have an issue with the rebuild. I do not see any bolts holding the left and right sills. What I do see is repairs and welding. I don't want to jump to conclusions but I think Rube Goldberg has out done himself. If I look from under the car I can see what appears to be the heads of bolts thru the side rails. I should be looking at nuts if the body was installed correctly. Either way, at the very least, I think I will have to cut out the top of the sill over each bolt to remove the body from the frame. That is if it is bolted at all. Of the six bolts that hold the center to the back only two were there They were tapping screws and not thru bolts probably because he replaced the center outrigger.

I have included pictures here but there are more in my journal entry. http://www.triumphexp.com/journal/Dadsturn/15325
You may have to copy and paste the link into your browser or click Journals above and go to "The Disassembly Continues".

If this is like I think it is then I can only pray that center and rear sections are aligned so that the body can be taken off the chassis as a unit and placed on the donor frame. I guess I could cut it apart and try to salvage the sills but its a lot more work for this unnecessary foolishness. They built the pyramids I guess and know I can do the fabrication and welding but what a good waste of time.

I am open to any and all suggestions. If I have completely got it wrong, I would like to know that too.

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Don_t_see_the_bolts_for_the_sill_attachment_Looks_005.jpg    6.1 KB
Don_t_see_the_bolts_for_the_sill_attachment_Looks_005.jpg

This_is_the_sill_where_it_passes_below_the_cowl_la_006.jpg    5.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
I guess a lot depends on just how easily and cleanly you can re-separate what needs to be separated. Those outer sill panels, of course, were never in any way intended to be structural, so welding them on (even continuous seam welding) as opposed to the 8-9 screws that originally held them on and the 4-5 clips that held the bottom to the side frame rail isn't (IMO) going to make the car any stiffer. In fact, my observation over the years has been that relatively few Heralds retained for any length of time the bottom straps and clips...and it didn't seem to matter in any way.

As to the rear tub being "partially" welded to the center bulkhead section, I guess I'd be a bit worried as to how it's all currently secured to the chassis. Hopefully it's not welded to the chassis in any area. Once it's all off the old chassis, it will be more readily apparent how easily the two could be re-separated without much if any damage. The factory workshop manual shows how to lift a complete body off a chassis, including where to temporarily reinforce things. Realistically, though, and given what's already been done, you probably would be ok simply rehanging the doors to keep the body relatively straight while hoisting/lifting it?

It never ceases to amaze me what lengths and efforts people will to to in order to make a simple task ever so much more difficult, i.e., welding where a simple replacement of a few screws or bolts would've been faster, easier (and correct)! eye popping smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Dadsturn Avatar
Thanks Andy. I can't get a picture in my mind as to the relationship of the sill and the center and rear sections. I also do not see where the bolts that hold the assembly to the side rails from above. Are they under the sill? I can see the heads of the bolts from below.

Would the sequence of disassembly be to first unbolt and remove the sill exposing the body bolts and then removing the body bolts?

I did see in the service manual the angle iron brace that bolts to the center and rear sections to reinforce it when pulling the body off as a whole. That won't work for me as there are no holes to bolt thru. The frame is shot anyway. Do you think it is possible to cut the side rails off at the ends of the outriggers and leave them attached as reinforcement as the body is removed from the rest of the chassis?

1966 Chevy Bel Air

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1431555 by Dadsturn Thanks Andy. I can't get a picture in my mind as to the relationship of the sill and the center and rear sections. I also do not see where the bolts that hold the assembly to the side rails from above. Are they under the sill? I can see the heads of the bolts from below.
Yes, those are what you're looking for. Those bolts go UP to "nut plates" inside the body mount.

In reply to # 1431555 by Dadsturn Would the sequence of disassembly be to first unbolt and remove the sill exposing the body bolts and then removing the body bolts?
Yes, that should work, assuming you can actually get those outer sills off!

In reply to # 1431555 by Dadsturn I did see in the service manual the angle iron brace that bolts to the center and rear sections to reinforce it when pulling the body off as a whole. That won't work for me as there are no holes to bolt thru. The frame is shot anyway. Do you think it is possible to cut the side rails off at the ends of the outriggers and leave them attached as reinforcement as the body is removed from the rest of the chassis?
Actually, that might work as well. You're not really doing any harm inasmuch as all the side outriggers and the outer connecting piece on each side that runs under the sill are replaceable. Take a good look at the "new" frame in that area and I think you'll see better how it all works.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
If you click on my pic below, it will take you to my Photobucket page, which has lots of photos of the disassembly & restoration of my (former) Herald... Maybe they can help you with details...

Scott

Dadsturn Avatar
Thank you Scott. I'll definitely do that.

1966 Chevy Bel Air

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster