AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bracket & mount question
  This topic is about my 1964 Triumph Herald 1200
Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, New York, USA   USA
I have been stripping a frame from a vitesse to use in the restoration of my Herald. In the front of the mainrails near where the front crossbar attaches are two U-shaped brackets. I'm 99% sure they are not required for the Herald by looking at the frame diagram in the service manual but before I cut them off I thought I would check here.

There are also two square pieces with tapped holes a little past midway down the frame on each main rail. I can find nothing about these and was wondering if these are also needed for a Herald. See pictures for the pieces I am referring to.

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3523B .JPG    49.2 KB
IMG_3523B .JPG

20170126_125230322_iOS.JPG    40.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
The top picture shows brackets for mounting the Vitesse radiator; you can remove those.

The bottom picture shows the later style of inboard seat belt mount points. Those date from, I think, about 1966 on. My understanding is that they likely would not clear an earlier body tub such as yours, so they also could be removed.

If any/all bits come off fairly cleanly, I'd happily take them off your hands!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Dadsturn Avatar
Hi Andy. Thanks for the info. I may try to incorporate the seatbelt mount points into the restoration. The radiator mounts might not come off that clean as getting to the weld points with the front bar brackets in the way will be difficult. If I can salvage them I'll let you know.

1966 Chevy Bel Air

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
In reply to # 1430594 by Dadsturn Hi Andy. Thanks for the info. I may try to incorporate the seatbelt mount points into the restoration. The radiator mounts might not come off that clean as getting to the weld points with the front bar brackets in the way will be difficult. If I can salvage them I'll let you know.
Understood on salvaging the pieces. Meanwhile, if I get a chance at some point, I can try to get some photos of how the floorpan was modified to clear those inboard seat belt mounts.

Oh, and don't forget you'll be wanting to swap the front overrider/bonnet pivot mounts, too!

Dadsturn Avatar
Yes. You told me about that a few months ago. I found a salvage yard that had a complete front bar and brackets in great shape. It doesn't appear to have been hit or bent at all and was heavily painted so the metal is in outstanding shape. I'm going to cut off the existing hit, straightened, re-welded (badly) bar off the vitesse frame and replace it with this Herald bar. I was all set to start this weekend along with the reinforcement pieces but the pieces were not available for pickup today. I cancelled the rental on the mig welder and will try again next week.

In the meantime I plan on taking off the bonnet and doing a compression check on the engine before I pull it out along with the gearbox. What is the best way to rig the hoisting chain to the motor? Is it best to pull the engine and gearbox as a unit or individually?

As far as removing the body from the chassis, I thought there was a video out there showing either the assembly or disassembly of a Herald. It may have been a promotional video from Triumph. Can you point me to anything that would help with the sequence of disassembling the Herald?

1966 Chevy Bel Air

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
In reply to # 1430755 by Dadsturn Yes. You told me about that a few months ago. I found a salvage yard that had a complete front bar and brackets in great shape. It doesn't appear to have been hit or bent at all and was heavily painted so the metal is in outstanding shape. I'm going to cut off the existing hit, straightened, re-welded (badly) bar off the vitesse frame and replace it with this Herald bar. I was all set to start this weekend along with the reinforcement pieces but the pieces were not available for pickup today. I cancelled the rental on the mig welder and will try again next week.
You lucked out finding that; wow! It is the later style with the "bowed out" center, right, rather than being relatively straight across?
In reply to # 1430755 by Dadsturn In the meantime I plan on taking off the bonnet and doing a compression check on the engine before I pull it out along with the gearbox. What is the best way to rig the hoisting chain to the motor? Is it best to pull the engine and gearbox as a unit or individually?
I like to do them as a unit. Do you have the lifting eye on the right side back two head studs? Lifting from that works pretty well as far as balance goes. Otherwise, I'd get a sturdy "sling" to lift it out. If you do have that bracket, you can also use that and the generator bracket, with a chain between and then hoist on the chain.

Whatever method you end up with, it's all a bit easier (for balance and such) with a second person, but it's quite doable by yourself.

In reply to # 1430755 by Dadsturn As far as removing the body from the chassis, I thought there was a video out there showing either the assembly or disassembly of a Herald. It may have been a promotional video from Triumph. Can you point me to anything that would help with the sequence of disassembling the Herald?
Someone probably has done a video; offhand, I can't remember seeing one. Barring that, the factory workshop manual outlines things reasonably well. Main thing is that the rear section comes off first, then the front floor/bulkhead/windshield frame assembly. On reassembly, it's that bulkhead that is the "focal point" from which everything else hopefully realigns!

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
In reply to # 1430755 by Dadsturn As far as removing the body from the chassis, I thought there was a video out there showing either the assembly or disassembly of a Herald. It may have been a promotional video from Triumph. Can you point me to anything that would help with the sequence of disassembling the Herald?

It is simple, straightforward start at one end, go to the other winking smiley I left a link on another of your posts re the rockers, but I'll post one here, too- You can see pretty much everything involved with removal, body wise... It is VERY simple... I did mine all by hand- no lifts or anything! Not too bad. But having help is useful...

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-24 11:40 AM by ng19delta.

Dadsturn Avatar
Thanks again, Scott.

1966 Chevy Bel Air

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
In reply to # 1437232 by Dadsturn Thanks again, Scott.

Enjoy! Heralds are great little cars! Dad had two 1/2 when I was a kid- The first was his own, the second was the car he bought from a scrapyard for the engine(which had identically the same problem as his!) and the 1/2 was a parts chassis, scuttle & bonnet, which was also my "toy" when I was a kid! I had mine for a number of years, during which I did the full resto, and a few years later sold... Now I have a TR6 I did a full resto on...

Scott

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster