rear diff conversion to spitfire

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cville William D
Charlottesville, VA, USA   USA
I'm wondering what's involved with converting my '67 herald rear diff to a later spitfire diff?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
You don't say what year / model of Spitfire.
But basically you would break the rear Universal joint and re-use the Herald flange on your Spitfire drive shaft.

Oh, and the same with the axle UJ's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-15 08:58 PM by Tonyfixit.

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
It's just simple wrench work. I think Tony might have misunderstood, but he's onto something. You'll need appropriate u-joint flanges and the larger bolts/nuts that go with them to match that later Spitfire diff; note that u-joints are the same. Oh, and the later Spitfire differentials have only four studs to hold down the spring rather than the Herald's six, but consensus is that the lack of the two will NOT matter.

Just what Spitfire differential do you plan to use? I'm assuming your '67 Herald has the stock 4.11 diff. Typical 1971 and later Spitfire is 3.89 (except for the 1972 models in North America, which reverted to 4.11). I don't know that the 5-6% reduction is worth the effort. On the other hand, if you're bolting in the Spitfire diff. to replace a blown one on the Herald, then go for it!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster