AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

vitesse6 Avatar
vitesse6 Cecil Wise
Coffeyville, Kansas, USA   USA
1966 Triumph Vitesse 2L "Blue Brick/flying Brick"
I'm in the process of restoring my Vitesse and am trying to get all of the body gaps correct. I've had an issue where the left door to bonnet gap is very large. I've adjusted the bonnet such that there is about a 1/8" gap to the bulkhead. Mr Welch in the Herald body service training notes indicates that the gap should be 3/16" Even with the bonnet closer to the bulkhead than it is supposed to be, I still have around a 3/8-1/2" gap between the bonnet and the left door. The right door is fine, bonnet to bulkhead gap is pretty even left to right. I've adjusted the left door as far forward as it will go. I've removed about everything I can think of that could hinder the door movement forward including the door check strap and seal. I've adjusted the vent window back so it is out of the way and removed the door switch. In the end, I even removed the door hinge bolts and it still won't go any further forward. I've looked for witness marks to see what is holding it back, but don't see anything. Any ideas?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
I suspect you'll need to bring that side of the bulkhead forward.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
He is already within 1/8th of the bulkhead with the bonnet (in the windshield area)

How is the door gap at the rear part of the door?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
vitesse6 Avatar
vitesse6 Cecil Wise
Coffeyville, Kansas, USA   USA
1966 Triumph Vitesse 2L "Blue Brick/flying Brick"
Bulkhead is as far forward as it will go.

I've got the rear of the body loose and pulled well back from the doors. I figured I would get the bulkhead/bonnet/doors aligned first as per the service training notes.

I had the door switch out and hanging by it's wire. I finally unplugged it and took it all the way out and with the hinge bolts removed was able to push it far enough forward. I've been elongating the holes on the bulkhead so I can adjust the hinge further forward.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster