Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Herald LA Avatar
Herald LA Stone F
Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA, USA   USA
Good to know, I can confirm the plate indicates it was originally Paint Code 26. Trim Code 16 if anyone knows what that means.

Developments: I could not get the car to crank at all not sure if it's seized since I don't have a breaker bar to try and manually turn the crank, or if it's an electrical issue. It seems there is no fuel getting through to the carb, and I'm not sure the choke and throttle cables are linked correctly. There is some oil leaking from the diff although I could not pinpoint a specific location. The other leak at the front was from the clutch, the reservoir is empty and the part that attaches to the gearbox is very crusted as you'll see in the picture. There seem to be some missing bolts here and there on the exhaust manifold where it attaches to the exhaust, maybe on the diff, and bell housing of the transmission. Noticed a couple of rusty looking areas on some parts of the floor pan but looks to be superficial mostly (please god).

Good news: Front brakes are disks, so no conversion needed but maybe a refresh and some new disks. Clutch leak seems easier to fix than a transmission leak (silver lining). Dash in better condition than I remembered. Seems to have a front sway bar, probably could also do with a refurb or upgrade.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
16107862_10154995702871349_12823100_o.jpg    51.8 KB
16107862_10154995702871349_12823100_o.jpg

16106455_10154995702736349_764580599_o.jpg    40.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
16010648_10154995702806349_1999427833_o.jpg    31 KB
16106159_10154995703391349_1339494676_o.jpg    37.6 KB
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
You should be able to turn the engine by puting the car in 4th gear and pushing/rocking it.

The choke throttle linkage seem OK to me, Why did you think it was wrong?

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
You will likely have a rubber button on the starter solenoid that you can press to engage the starter independent of the ignition key.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald LA Avatar
Herald LA Stone F
I'll try the rock start see if that works and take a look for the button on the solenoid. Well, the choke cable is working but when I took off the air filter I noticed that every few times I engaged and released the choke the butterfly valve didn't respond.

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
More random, yet related, thoughts:

1. Could it be that the starter is jammed, as they occasionally are wont to do? They usually won't spin (electrically) when that happens, and it can also make the engine very difficult to turn by hand. Rocking in 4th gear is usually a great way to free things up without expending huge amounts of effort.

2. The choke butterfly might be suffering from years of gunk and grime, hence its reluctance to move properly. There is a small spring on it. I suppose that spring can fail, although it's never happened to me. Likely you'll end up spending some quality time cleaning out and cleaning up that carb!

This PDF file of a factory instruction book on the Solex might prove useful.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Herald LA Avatar
Herald LA Stone F
The engine did turn in 4th but when I tried to crank it over there was a loud clicking noise, I thought it was the starter motor but when I did a little reading I found it's more likely a dead battery. The battery had just been recharged but I think it may have been too far gone to provide sufficient Cranking Amps, so probably make a call to AAA next weekend for a new one. Meanwhile, I think I found the culprit for the leaking clutch a split rubber piece. Rimmer Bros left me contemplating a $35 replacement unit or $5 for new rubbers. I decided to see if I could fix it the cheap way so the new parts are on the way, including a nifty rubber cap for the bleed valve. It's a small job but hopefully one that will make a huge difference.

Still searching for a D-Type Overdrive to fit, HS2 Carbs and Intake/Exhaust Manifold. Going to start saving for a Camber Compensator, lowering blocks, new springs and shocks, and maybe new rubber everywhere seals and bushes. Some more inspiration

Attachments:
16129427_10155005592896349_1817427852_o.jpg    24.1 KB
16129427_10155005592896349_1817427852_o.jpg

16145218_10155005592891349_1258640356_o.jpg    21.3 KB
12-10-08_012.jpg    37.7 KB
12-10-08_008.jpg    36.8 KB
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
The seal you show with a tear in it is really more a dust seal than a hydraulic seal. That said, I still suspect you're good to rebuild that cylinder as well as the clutch master cylinder (and probably all the other hydraulics). And I would note that all those bits are readily available from many US suppliers -- being the same as used on various Spitfires and/or other cars -- so no need to go to the UK for that sort of thing!

vancouver, washington, USA   USA
Stone

Stone
You can fiddle around with rebuilding the hydraulic parts but in the end it's really easier just to replace them. They're not that expensive. Then you can just move on to the other stuff. Believe me other stuff will pop up. Remember on the brake system it is a single circuit. Ain't no back up except the hand brake.
Mike C

you can

Herald LA Avatar
Herald LA Stone F
I'm currently looking at two sets of Weber Hs2's with linkages and manifold, but they need a rebuild and cleanup. Prices aren't vastly different,$180 for a Mk1 manifold with an overflow tank, and $130 for a MK2 set. Is there any difference in overall performance between the two? and will a new set of headers still be required with a change to Mk1 vs Mk2? The overflow box is pretty interesting but does it create any additional issues? I've seen some pictures where it appeared to be attached to the radiator whereas the Mk2 has a different cooling system.

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
Way back when(1990s), I restored (formerly) my 1964 Herald 1200, and put in a Spitfire III camshaft, and dual side-draft SUs from a Mk 1. Spitfire, while maintaining the original single Solex head... That was something: The dual carb head has SMALLER intake valves than the single carb head: By combining the dual carbs & the larger valves, I got some great performance! I used to BURY the speedometer needle- It would go past its highest marks by a little ways... Which was neat... Andy Mace can tell you about that car- she was a sweet runner, and was just like a brand new car when I got finished with her. I also upgraded to a GM single wire alternator, and custom made my own mountings, using the original genny mounts as hard points. If you click on any of the pics below, they will take you to my Photobucket page for the Herald- feel free to roam through- you may get some ideas...

I sold her a number of years ago to Bill Goodwin in Maryland, who takes her on things like the British Reliability Run etc... She does well, I understand- Hemmings even mentioned her in an article on the run a few years back- Apparently the author was in a Spitfire group she was at the front of- and all the Spit drivers thought they would be stuck behind "another slow Herald"... She walked away from them! smiling smiley She is known by the name "Britwit" last I heard. And I'm driving a TR6 these days, though I always have a warm spot for Heralds...

Scott

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
In reply to # 1437152 by ng19delta Way back when(1990s), I restored (formerly) my 1964 Herald 1200, and put in a Spitfire III camshaft, and dual side-draft SUs from a Mk 1. Spitfire, while maintaining the original single Solex head... That was something: The dual carb head has SMALLER intake valves than the single carb head: By combining the dual carbs & the larger valves, I got some great performance! I used to BURY the speedometer needle- It would go past its highest marks by a little ways... Which was neat... Andy Mace can tell you about that car- she was a sweet runner, and was just like a brand new car when I got finished with her....
I sold her a number of years ago to Bill Goodwin in Maryland...
Definitely a sweet runner of a car! thumbs up

Sadly, Bill Goodwin passed away in September 2015. I believe, at this point, the car is still with his widow Carol. I know that there are many fellow Triumph enthusiasts in that area who have been helping her out; one way or another, I'm sure that Herald and his other cars are in good hands and being well cared for.

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
In reply to # 1437217 by Herald948
In reply to # 1437152 by ng19delta Way back when(1990s), I restored (formerly) my 1964 Herald 1200, and put in a Spitfire III camshaft, and dual side-draft SUs from a Mk 1. Spitfire, while maintaining the original single Solex head... That was something: The dual carb head has SMALLER intake valves than the single carb head: By combining the dual carbs & the larger valves, I got some great performance! I used to BURY the speedometer needle- It would go past its highest marks by a little ways... Which was neat... Andy Mace can tell you about that car- she was a sweet runner, and was just like a brand new car when I got finished with her....
I sold her a number of years ago to Bill Goodwin in Maryland...
Definitely a sweet runner of a car! thumbs up

Sadly, Bill Goodwin passed away in September 2015. I believe, at this point, the car is still with his widow Carol. I know that there are many fellow Triumph enthusiasts in that area who have been helping her out; one way or another, I'm sure that Herald and his other cars are in good hands and being well cared for.

Thanks Andy- I did not know Bill passed away; I only met him during the sale of the Herald, and he seemed like a real nice guy... He was working on getting one of each Herald type, and was delighted with mine as the convertible... Thanks for the update. If I had the funds, I'd probably make her an offer for the Herald, but I'm sure if she is interested in doing so, she'll find her a good home, if she hasn't done so already...

Scott

Herald LA Avatar
Herald LA Stone F
Thanks Scott, the car looks great but it's sad to hear about the owners passing. Maybe my frame of reference is wrong then because that looks like the Mk2 intake. I have been contemplating a switch to an alternator, but the generator was re-cored 4 years ago, so it's probably worth spending the money elsewhere for right now. When you replaced the valves you also modified the head?

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
In reply to # 1437397 by Herald LA Maybe my frame of reference is wrong then because that looks like the Mk2 intake.
You are correct! The early Spitfire 4 intake is easily distinguished by its bolt-on bridge/balance pipe.

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
In reply to # 1437481 by Herald948
In reply to # 1437397 by Herald LA Maybe my frame of reference is wrong then because that looks like the Mk2 intake.
You are correct! The early Spitfire 4 intake is easily distinguished by its bolt-on bridge/balance pipe.

I seem to recall you are correct: I removed it how many years ago from a junkyard queen...

Scott

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster