Bumper rubber fitting?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

suzukigt Peter S
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, England, UK   GBR
Hi, how do you fit the rubber bumper bits that's on the corners, the rubber corner bits front and rear that I've got are in the shape of the corners and hard, could l put them in hot water to make them supple, any ideas?, cheers

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
First, grind off all the brackets, second, paint the bumper bracket areas nicely... That is the only way to retain your sanity! Especially if you are trying to put old bumpers back on! New ones are available if you are thinking of reusing hardened old ones... But getting them on was one of the damndest jobs I ever had to do!

If you need new ones, TD Fitchetts (if they are still around) used to carry them for a very good price. I believe part of the secret was liberal use of dish soap as a lubricant, and then walking them on top and bottom... I remember cursing- a lot- as I worked them... But they finally cooperated...

One cheat might be to remove the original plates from the bumper areas, get a new set of mount plates, then drill them in place, and install some carriage bolts(1/4-20) into the plates & tack weld them to the plates, then mount the rubbers to the loose plates, and offer them up to the bumper areas & put nuts & lock washers on the inside... Not Concours, but a workable alternative!

Scott

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster