AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Graze Graeme Spender
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Has anyone fitted them?

Impressions? Results? Issues?

Apparently big performance gains

graze

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hearditallbefore Avatar
Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK   GBR
Intrigued.

http://www.v-performance.com/products/air_fuel.html

Swatting the yellow jackets away from the Triumph apple of truth…

Graze Graeme Spender
Andy

Thanks I had found that website which is why I was asking. Since found this thread http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?7,731964 on carbs in the TR4 section so am more interested.

Graze

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1957tr3greentub4me michael alford
pilo t mountain, north carolina, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "Oilleak"
noyt yet but i plan to purchase a set for my tr-3 asap i had a single 45 on a 2002 low rider with a built 103 stroker made 104 hp on the dyno at the ground and 114 ft of torque that thing would fly !! never rung her out i get chicken about 130mph on a harley but it still had plenty left i would shift at 6500 rpm of course everything was matched to the carb, roller rockers, forged rocker boxes , forged big bore slipper pistons ,big valve screaming eagle heads ,racing springs,harleys torquer cams ,tapered chrome molly pushrods matched and ported intake manifold vincent and hines two into one tuned headers ,factory 6500 rpm hot spark ignition with rev limiter at 6500 rpm and of course the 103 stroker drag crankshaft fitted with lightened carrillo rods ,pretty much the same old stuff that any prudent engine builder dose to make any engine built up to withstand the rigors of old men ha ha i only spent 10.000.00 on the engine in 2003 but my mechanic is well versed on these engines ask for charlie at smoking dees hd in winston salem ,n.c. to get yours ,well back to the 45s they are great but they do rattle at idle ,it s just the slide plates but you will notice it ? to me its minor trade off ,i.e. no brainer ,my suggestion GO 4 IT !!!

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
I spent 4 months testing a pair of Makuni 42mm carbs with KN filters on my tr6 car 9.5-1 cr 272 cam,these are great carbs but in the end my conclusion was they would be good for racing but not for a driver.They really deliver at high rpms because they are motorcycle carbs.They run rich and when you lean them,the chokes cant start a cold car,the rubber manifold adapters make it hard to maintain an idle rpm.I really wanted them to work but now they sit in a box on my shelf and I want to sell them. Dan

Graze Graeme Spender
Well, i've got 40's in a box. Engine re built and being run in on Strombergs. Specs as follows

89mm pistons
balanced rods & cryogenically treated
moldex billet crank
14lb flywheel
extractors
ported 4A head
upgraded water pump
facet fuel pump
ali radiator from Wizard racing US

currently has a wild cam in it (not what I asked for) and we will change the cam out in the next few weeks and fit the Mikunis so Ill let you know how it goes

Graze

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
I put a set of 45s on a TR7 and liked them. it was an old stock engine so performance wasnt an issue. just wanted a more relieable carb that would start and not leak.

planning a set on a TR6 this mth and a set of 42s on my GT6.

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

ChupacbraChoppers Avatar
ChupacbraChoppers Sean Rirenour
Huachuca City, AZ, USA   USA
I just did it on my 1500. 34mm Mikuni keyholes.

Attachments:
20151110_165222.jpg    57.3 KB
20151110_165222.jpg

ChupacbraChoppers Avatar
ChupacbraChoppers Sean Rirenour
Huachuca City, AZ, USA   USA
A few more photos

Attachments:
20151110_165226.jpg    52.4 KB
20151110_165226.jpg

20151110_165410.jpg    58.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20151109_172816.jpg    49.3 KB
20151109_172835.jpg    43 KB
tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Ten years ago, Jeff McNeal of the Totally Triumph Net, fitted Mikunis to his 1500 Spitfire - were you inspired by that, Sean?
See: http://www.totallytriumph.net/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=781&forum=DCForumID1
The car took so much time to get running well that his wife named it Mrs.Jones, as in the Billy Paul song.
But he wrote it all up in a book, with the same title, but even Amazon can't find a copy now.

John

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1328598 by tapkaJohnD Ten years ago, Jeff McNeal of the Totally Triumph Net, fitted Mikunis to his 1500 Spitfire - were you inspired by that, Sean?
See: http://www.totallytriumph.net/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=781&forum=DCForumID1
The car took so much time to get running well that his wife named it Mrs.Jones, as in the Billy Paul song.
But he wrote it all up in a book, with the same title, but even Amazon can't find a copy now.

John

Yah, I built the manifolds that Jeff used for Mrs Jones in my garage machine shop.
A problem with some (not all) M/C carbs is lack of accel enrichment.
Regular carbs have a separate accel pump, and SU carbs enrich just by their design.
M/C is light enough to not need it, but cars, even a Spitfire, are enough heavier that the engine can bog when you crack the throttle.
So 'rolling on' the throttle is what many folks wind up doing, even with infinite tinkering.

I think that would piss me off a bit each time.

tsingleton Avatar
tsingleton Tim S
Cumming, Georgia, USA   USA
DCOE 40 WEBER, the bomb :-) Just jet em right!

tlcgt6 Avatar
tlcgt6 Tommy Cook
Colleyville, texas, USA   USA
1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Banana Hannah"
1972 Triumph GT6 "The T"
I have been running HSR42's on my GT6 for 2 years now. it took a little trial and error but I finally got them tuned in with the help of an O2 gauge. no problems with start up (I set up a choke system), driving around town is easy, nice acceleration all the way to 6500 rpm (my self imposed limit). I drive the car in the Texas winter and summer. Overall much better than the strombergs that I replaced. come to this year's VTR. I will be presenting a tech session on converting to Mikunis. I am building another GT6 now and have a set of HSR 45s set up for that engine (TR6 2.5L). I have the different jet/neddle sizes if you need a place to begin. Don't even attempt to use what the Harley guys tell you. WAAAAAY too lean.

alpecsa Avatar
alpecsa Alfredo Perezcalva
Versailles, KY, now in Mexico, USA   USA
I did a single one on a Spitfire, it was a 42hsr and worked great, I'll try a pair in my GT6 when it gets back on the road.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links