Looking for a Road Course (Track) to run my TR6 on

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Skybolt Orlando Davis
Long Island, NY, USA   USA
I am looking for a road course (track) to run my TR6 on I am in the North East of the US. I use to have a track close to me I ran on in the 80's, Bridge Hampton Raceway. It was alot of fun doing that.It closed a few years back and someone made it to a golf course, sad when that happens.

So I am trying to find something in the North east which I could attend a few times a year if possible. All of my searches prety much come up with drag strips and ovals for modifieds. There is nothing like a good road track. Watkins Glen requires belonging to a race club that supports that track. That would be awesome to run there!

Anyway, just thought I would put the question out there and see what turns up.

Thanks,
Orlando

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tinks-dad Avatar
tinks-dad Silver Member Bob C
Newburgh, NY, USA   USA
Skybolt Orlando Davis
I didn't think you could race there without a club and SCCA?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Most road course have track days in which a street car can get on track, known as PDX, or HPDE events, most will require your TR6 to have roll bar and you to wear a helmet. Add NJ Motorsports Park to the list of local tracks track in your area.

Here's a link, that give you more info.

http://www.njmp.com/on-track-experiences.html

Here's track day info for the Glen

http://www.trackmasters.com/

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
www.acmespeedshop.com
Engines, Rebuild Kits and More.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-17 08:09 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Skybolt Orlando Davis
Thanks for your reply.

I also found this as well, http://www.scda1.com/

Not quite sure a TR6 is the right car for this though.

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA   USA
Limerock also has an infield autocross course that a mini race track, not a traditional cone filled parking lot. Skippy school and the go cart enduros use it. While not as fast as the main track, it can be lots of fun in a well sorted sports car (drove on it in Mazda 3, a 911, a Lotus Elise and even my SUV as well as Karts). It became available for private use this year.

Autocross schedule

mike

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Search COM, EMRA, PDA, and SCDA. They all have track days. The timed events are called time trials. Sometimes you can get on with the BMW club. I'm sure there are other local clubs that do track days as well. In an open car like a TR6, you should seriously consider a roll bar. Some clubs will require it. Have fun and be prepared to have your hat handed to you by some fast modern people movers.

Skybolt Orlando Davis
In reply to # 918230 by TR8todd ... Have fun and be prepared to have your hat handed to you by some fast modern people movers.

Isn't that the truth, I ran a 911 at the bridgehamptom course on LI, along with my TR6 back in the 80's. Had my hat handed to me a few times.

I am just looking for what you could once do on a back road many years ago. Which doesn't exist anylonger here on LI.

This is great, thanks!

Redeemd Avatar
Redeemd Richard Gifford
Adair, Oklahoma, USA   USA
Say, shouldn't that car already be crossed up for that turn??? grinning smiley

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
In reply to # 911094 by OFRacer

mike

Is that THE STIG driving? Or maybe The Stig's Dad?grinning smiley
Scott

Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
In reply to # 1239535 by Redeemd Say, shouldn't that car already be crossed up for that turn??? grinning smiley

Late apex!

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Steering with the throttle, taking advantage of the massive torque from the MGA powerhouse winking smiley

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA   USA
The Jag club of NY will be holding a school at Limerock on Friday June 3/ Saturday June 4th. This is a great event held every year in conjunction with the Vintage Sports Car Club of America and the Historic Racing Group. The Jag "school" had two classes, novice and experienced. There's classroom instruction, in car coaching and plenty of track time. When the Jag club isn't on track there's vintage racing going on with the other two actual race (VSCCA has cars up to 1959, HRG up to 1981) orgs. There's also a free barbecue for everyone on Friday night at the track. On Saturday, in addition to more of the school and racing continuing the drift cars take over the infield Skip Barber training course. Even if you don't like drifting (car abuse in my opinion) you have to appreciate the engineering and innovation (picture a corvette crate motor in a Honda Civic) the goes into these cars.

Both days are open to the public, free, to watch, just sign a waiver at the gate.

If you want to take your car on track, the link below has the details. I'll be there racing the Spit with the HRG.

NFI, just passing this info on.

http://historicracinggroup.com/resources/forms/2016/LimeRockEntryForm2016%20HRG.pdf

mike h

Brumley1 Brandon Rumley
Maplewood, NJ, USA   USA
I have brought my DUCATI 748 to the track in Melville NJ aka NJ Motor Sports Park quite a few times and it was always a blast. Not sure on the requirements for cars (roll cage etc) but its a great track and very nice people who work there. IF you do find anything out on if they allow classics please post it...

Best,

Brandon

Brumley1 Brandon Rumley
Maplewood, NJ, USA   USA
He is defintiley looking where he wants to go. Rule numero uno... smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster