Wideband anyone?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Anyone have any suggestions on an inexpensive wideband gauge kit? I'm going to have to break down and buy something to get my carb(s) tuned correctly. I don;t feel like doing plug cuts and would like to see things happen on the fly. So far looking at this one:

Innovate Motorsports 3873 DB

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JimG Avatar
JimG Jim G
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
I used the Autometer unit this season. It was only useful when I do a peak recall from wide open and for that you need a Wide Open Throttle switch.
The meter was all over the place except under full throttle and even at that it took time to stablize. I was never able to look at the gauge under WOT conditions for any length of time.
I now use an innovate MS unit that reads direct to my Traqmate data logger.
I depend more on my exhaust gas temps which are easier to read taken from # 1 & 4 tubes. This year I added two more EGT's ( 2 & 3 ) to read to the data logger as well.
jim g

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Auto-Meter-3878-GS-Digital-Wideband-Air-Fuel-Ratio-AFR-Gauge,114130.html?sku=1823878&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhMrd4sCj2QIVkVp-Ch3eawOKEAQYBCABEgJuRvD_BwE

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1513157 by JimG I used the Autometer unit this season. It was only useful when I do a peak recall from wide open and for that you need a Wide Open Throttle switch.
The meter was all over the place except under full throttle and even at that it took time to stablize. I was never able to look at the gauge under WOT conditions for any length of time.
I now use an innovate MS unit that reads direct to my Traqmate data logger.
I depend more on my exhaust gas temps which are easier to read taken from # 1 & 4 tubes. This year I added two more EGT's ( 2 & 3 ) to read to the data logger as well.
jim g

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Auto-Meter-3878-GS-Digital-Wideband-Air-Fuel-Ratio-AFR-Gauge,114130.html?sku=1823878&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhMrd4sCj2QIVkVp-Ch3eawOKEAQYBCABEgJuRvD_BwE

Jim,
what car and motor did you fit these to?
I'd be interested to see the sensor placement details, do you have any pix?
EGT are not so trendy, but they remain a solid and reliable approach to keeping tabs on what each cylinder is doing.

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JimG Avatar
JimG Jim G
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
Carter,
This is the car and engine. the 02 sensor is just downstream of the collector.

Attachments:
3d.jpg    38.5 KB
3d.jpg

DSCN1593.JPG    61.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Very Nice!
I like the alternator tension adjuster.

quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, IL, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
I have used egt's on my Mazda RX7 - work very good - sensor in pipe about 2" from manifold face to get proper readings

JimG Avatar
JimG Jim G
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
Ralph,
I can't speak to how the Mazda works with EGT's but on our cars, especially a race car with a longer duration cam you do not want your EGT probes that close.
The problem is at 2" from the flange the probe tip is right in the flame. Westach, the manfr. of the most popular EGT suggests 6" from the flange, a
number of triumph racers have found that is a bit too far out so many of us install them 6" from the valve.
Anyway if you run your EGT's too close it will appear as if you are going to melt the motor with 1400 + temps when actually you are reading pure flame.'
One problem with that is no matter how fat you run the mixture you will always see really hot EGT's right up until you add so much fuel to compensate you wash
the cylinders down with fuel and there goes your compression along with any crosshatch you had on the cylinder walls.
Something to think about for anybody thinking of using EGT's.
jim g

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links