Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
What are you TR6 racers using for front brakes?

We are in the middle of the Toyota vented rotors & calipers swap. There does not seem to be a great pad for racing. We currently use Hawk blues with the TR6 calipers & rotors, but the South Course at VIR is very hard on brakes.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The Jag"
1975 Triumph TR6 "The TR"
Hey man, 'glad to see another East Tennessee racer dude on here. I've run the 4 pot Toyota calipers with a mild street stock shoe and single non vented disc with no real serious problems. The only brake fade I've ever had is when I'm running real swift and hard down a curvy mountain.

Attachments:
IMG_1492.JPG    74.8 KB
IMG_1492.JPG

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Hi Aaron,

Looks like we are neighbors. Our TR6 is a ChumpCar (budget endurance road racing). We are a 6 man team with equal ownership, wrenching, & driving time. Great team chemistry, so we have fun even when just wrenching for 10-12 hours. Our next race will be August 12-13 for a 24 hr event at Virginia International Raceway.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Carl at VIR 3-4-2017.jpg    35.6 KB
Carl at VIR 3-4-2017.jpg

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, Montana, USA   USA
I just finished the Toyota swap on my spit(with gt6 front bits). I researched pads and ended up buying cheapo semi metallic pads and braking seems just a little better....but the calipers aren't leaking which is WAY better! I did see that Hawk makes a pad for them for about a 100bucks....

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
We ordered a set of these to try with our Cressida vented rotors.

HB312R.591

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance-street/pads/hb312r591

We would prefer the Hawk Blue, but they do not offer it in the Blue race compound. Hawk said they could with a minimum run of 20 sets. If we could get enough interest....

The VIR South Course is very hard on brakes. We have been melting the outer dust seal on the TR6 calipers. That is with a rotor cooling duct added. At the last event there, we saw a BMW come into the pits with a flaming rotor. Not just glowing red, actual flames.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-26 03:04 PM by V8MGBV8.

Attachments:
SouthCourseMap2014.jpg    35.2 KB
SouthCourseMap2014.jpg

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, Montana, USA   USA
well I'd be interested in what you think of those Hawk pads. unfortunately wont translate to my application so well since I just do short autocross races. my brakes will last a good long while I believe. I really wanted to try the vented router mod but I figured it would be just to much to adapt to the gt6 hub. and it would have really just been for bling factor since again I'm only autocrossing. no road racing close to me...thank goodness.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The Jag"
1975 Triumph TR6 "The TR"
That must be a blast. I bet you guys have a good time. I love to look at and read about the Chump car and LeMons racers. Some of those entries are hilarious and pretty clever nonetheless.
Yeah running road courses like VIR with their tremendous speeds would require some much more serious brakes.
Best of luck to you guys at VIR next. I'm running at Bristol the weekend prior....SCCA dragcross on Saturday and ETR autocross on Sunday.

In reply to # 1473588 by V8MGBV8 Hi Aaron,

Looks like we are neighbors. Our TR6 is a ChumpCar (budget endurance road racing). We are a 6 man team with equal ownership, wrenching, & driving time. Great team chemistry, so we have fun even when just wrenching for 10-12 hours. Our next race will be August 12-13 for a 24 hr event at Virginia International Raceway.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Wish I could join you with my MG, but I will be in Ohio. Just bought a new set of the Falken RT615K+ for it. Loved my old Toyo RA-1. They were getting dangerous in the wet, though.

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Carl,
As we exchanged on the other, 'brake mods' thread, this is more for others, but I'ma fan of Mintex pads.
On my Vitesse - same wight and this has the same engine as a TR6 - I use 1155s for road and track, and with vented discs can't fade them at all.
JOhn

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Thanks, John. I looked thru the Mintex catalog. The 1155 does not seem to be available for our 4Runner calipers.

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, Illinois, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
ok, so, after reading through this I see a few things,
1) you are full race at your events, hard street and autocross are two different worlds, all 3 requiring different pads
2) Hawk Blue has been a road racers standard for many years, but, newer compounds are better (HTC)
3) no offense but you need to change calipers, your calipers severely limit your pad choices (how many 4Runners on the road courses?)
4) CarboTech in NC should be able to make a set with various compounds available

feel free to call me if you like 847-840-7366 9am-8pm central

I'm a 30+ year road racer and have contacts all over the Performance market

Ralph

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1486764 by quikrx ok, so, after reading through this I see a few things,
1) you are full race at your events, hard street and autocross are two different worlds, all 3 requiring different pads
2) Hawk Blue has been a road racers standard for many years, but, newer compounds are better (HTC)
3) no offense but you need to change calipers, your calipers severely limit your pad choices (how many 4Runners on the road courses?)
4) CarboTech in NC should be able to make a set with various compounds available

feel free to call me if you like 847-840-7366 9am-8pm central

I'm a 30+ year road racer and have contacts all over the Performance market

Ralph

Lot's of places will build custom stuff, for a price.
You just need to decide what's more important, going fast or saving money.

Brake pads are about as simple mechanically as you can get,
a chunk of friction material attached to a backing plate.
The trick is attaching the pad material to the backing plate.
Bonding is used for commodity pads because it's cheaper.
But riveting is usually stronger, and can be done DIY.
You just need to be sure to keep an eye on pad thickness to avoid damaging the rotors.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
In reply to # 1486764 by quikrx 3) no offense but you need to change calipers, your calipers severely limit your pad choices (how many 4Runners on the road courses?)

#3. Exactly what I told our crew chief! But this is a bolt-on known (cheaper) upgrade.

#3&4. Keep in mind this a BUDGET endurance road racing series.

Thanks!

https://www.chumpcar.com/

JimG Avatar
JimG Jim G
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
Carbotech makes them in assorted compounds. Where I race ( at 5200' ) I would completely eat a brand new set of rotors
in a day even with 4" ducting using the XP10 compund. They gave the initial bite I wanted but I had to buy rotors by the 6-pack.
You get the toy pad profile in milder, endurance compounds too. Just give them a call.
Nothing cools well at 5200' I just did what Ken Knight did and went with willwood calipers and vented rotors and taking my chances with eligibility. I do brake service while everybody else is at dinner.
jim g
# 102

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster