AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
Got a free used set of 185/60 R13 Toyo Proxes R888's for my Spitfire. The outside edges are worn quite a bit more than the inside edges - which seems pretty normal for a road race tire. The question is - Can I mount these tires on opposite sides of the car to even out that wear pattern. The tires are prominently marked "Right" and "Left" and are definitely uni-directional. Swapping the left side tires to the right (and vice versa), but maintaining the direction of rotation would help me get some more time out of these so I could do some test and tune and track days on free tires. I think I'd get new tires for actual races next season, but I'd like to use these for practice if I can.

I found a Miata site on which someone said "flopping" the tires as I want to do is completely "OK" according to a Toyo engineer. It even said you could run them in opposite rotation direction as long as it was a dry track - that the directional grooves were simply provided to channel water away from the contact patch. See this link - http://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/index.php/t-40734.html

What do you guys think?

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Proxes.jpg    9 KB
Proxes.jpg

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Will you use these mainly on the street or the track?
Some directional tires are built with asymmetrical carcass and tread (Acura NSX tires)
but if these are just tread I think you are OK.
I'd run them and see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-26 08:50 AM by clshore.

TR4racer Avatar
TR4racer Mike Deweerd
Woodstock, Ontatio, Canada   CAN
Not a problem to do so. I switch tires from side to side between race weekends to even the wear and get the most out of the tires.
Keep them on the track!!
Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
Yeah - this will be car that only runs on the track. Thanks, guys. I was hoping to get confirmation that this practice with these tires would be OK. I should be able to get several track days out of a set, or maybe a weekend race. I think I have a continuing supply of these, which will really help on the budget.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster