Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, Montana, USA   USA
So I had my second race of the season and my lowering block Really helped my back end stay on the ground. Unfortunately in my 2nd set of runs, at the end of my 2nd run, I had smoke enter my cabin. Lifting the bonnet revealed a legit fire blazing in the starter solenoid area. Blasted it w a whole bottle of fire extinguisher and the heater cable was still glowing and kept on burning. Gushed 2 gallons of water on it and it finally went out.
Found that the heater cable had fallen on the positive battery cable attachment of the starter solenoid.
Damage was very minimal; burnt battery cable, burnt heater cable, and melted a whole clean into my battery w acid slushing out.
I taped up the whole w duct tape and wrapped up the battery cable to limp it to my auto parts store. It actually made it so I bought new parts, cleaned the engine compartment and made it back in time for the afternoon sessions!

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    63.9 KB
image.jpeg

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
Cool ... maybe an Optima is good insurance. Atleast the acid part would be eliminated.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Pic is of the fire extinguisher mess. Definitely looked/felt worse in person.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA   USA
Get the fire extinguisher residue cleaned up quickly. it's corrosive.

mike h

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Do you not have a battery cut switch? I'm surprised you are allowed to race without one.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Good to know about the corrosiveness of that residue. I did take it to a car wash and rinsed it as best I could. Probably could use another spray down.
The cut off switch is definitely on my short list. As for needing it to race, this is SCCA autocross. Don't need much for that.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

1964Spitfire Avatar
1964Spitfire Tim P
Santa Clara, CA, USA   USA
Road/vintage rules have gotten more clear and comprehensive on electrical safety.

"All of the positive electrical contacts, connections and terminals i.e. battery, regulator, generator, alternator and starter terminals must be covered with an insulating material to prevent grounding. "

Even if not required for autocross, wouldn't hurt to take it to the next level as far as safety is concerned

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1378095 by 1964Spitfire Road/vintage rules have gotten more clear and comprehensive on electrical safety.

"All of the positive electrical contacts, connections and terminals i.e. battery, regulator, generator, alternator and starter terminals must be covered with an insulating material to prevent grounding. "

Even if not required for autocross, wouldn't hurt to take it to the next level as far as safety is concerned

So true.
Terminal insulating boots are used on virtually all new cars, cheap and easy to find at FLAPS.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
I ran that heater cable in a rubber hose to insulate it in case it ever fell across that battery terminal.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph GT6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links