Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sccaspitfire Avatar
sccaspitfire Kevin Oday
Salem, Massachusetts, USA   USA
Has anyone used a flamethrower distributor with electronic ignition from Victoria British?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    48.4 KB
image.jpeg

Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
Haven't ordered one, but am considering doing so - along with their Digital Rev Limiter (http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/drl/default.aspx). I find the D176600 model on Amazon for around $167. This is supposedly a direct replacement for the Lucas 45D. I would not order such a thing from Vicky Brit, especially at their pricing - though their $300 price is for an entire kit. I like the simplicity of this system with the rev limiter. Seems very easy to install. I have NO idea about it's durability in racing conditions.

What kind of driving are you going to use this for? Racing?

I've had one of their "Ignitor" controllers in my stock distributor 1980 Spitfire for a long time, with no issues at all. Have put them in several friends Spitfires. No problems ever.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-05 08:17 PM by Spitfirejoe.

tsingleton Avatar
tsingleton Tim S
Cumming, Georgia, USA   USA
I used both with no issues, pretty easy install only took a few hours but I take my time and enjoy, I run Weber DCOE 40 Carb and don't have a water choke to deal with.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA   USA
Kevin, for about the same money, I paid ~$225 , Jeff at Advanced Distributors http://www.advanceddistributors.com/ built and calibrated a distributor for my race spit. He has a questionnaire on the website asking engine details to help him set the curve properly. It's a points setup, he makes his own point assemblies with stronger springs, so they can run properly at the higher ranges in a race motor.
I ran pertronics for years, in both my street and race spits, and they never failed me but in the race car I noticed the power "ramp" was lower about 6000 RPM. it took me longer to get the next 1000 RPM than it did from 5000 to 6000. I just assumed it was the nature of the beast but some consulting with my fellow wizards ( guys with 20+ years experience on me) convinced me to try Advanced. With Jeff's distributor, the power band is expanded to 7200, matching what my cam profile is designed for. I've had it for two seasons now, the only problem I had was a condenser started failing when I was running in 100 degree ambient temps at Limerock. That's a stock part, replaced in 10 minutes at the track (once I recognized the source of the misfire).

mike h

Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
Thanks for that info, Mike.

I'm almost ready to make the decision. Was wondering whether to go with a "1-2-3" distributor, the Pertronix, or have Jeff build one for me.

Are you running a Rev limiter? I'm thinking about the Pertronix model for that. Looks simple and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
I just put a Flamethrower in my GT6 last night. I was impressed by how easy it went. The shaft was keyed exactly like the old Delco, so even the spark plug wire positions stayed the same on the cap. To tell the truth, the spark looks MUCH stronger, and that's with a normal 12v coil.

Make sure you have the correct base clamp though. Because they never made a Flamethrower for the GT6 I used a TR6 unit, so that dizzy is meant to replace a Lucas one. The base diameter that the clamp goes around is larger than the Delco.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster