Autocross classes

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

plotkinc Catherine Plotkin
Edmond, Oklahoma, USA   USA
I am running s Spit6 in SCCA solo (autocross). I have not been able to determine which class I should run in, other then Heritage.

If anyone else is running a Spit6, what class do you run?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jhenrie Avatar
jhenrie john henrie
oceanport, New Jersey, USA   USA
I'd think since not fact motor youll get bumped to street / race prepared class

Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
Wow, no idea what class a 6 cylinder Spit would go to. My 1500 is in FSP. You'll probably have to get a ruling from the club.

How does the car handle on an Autocross course? I've ridden in a couple and am always surprised that the power keeps rolling when I think it's going to stop. Haven't driven one, so don't know if the extra weight on the nose hurts very much. There are times when I think a little extra weight wouldn't hurt that much.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
It handles very well, but I have only run twice and it is the only one I have autocrosseded with.

She started out as a GT6, so the transplant was the body, rather than the engine, does that make a difference?

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
My friends are now running Heritage with Spits. Just another stupid ruling SCCA has come up with to level the playing field. They are good at that,believe me. If there are not enough Heritage cars at an event you run your Street prep class. A rule,within a rule. I started running my TR4 this way in 1978. I soon tired of all their rules even back then. Rules encourage one thing,cheating! Then more rules are heaped on to stop cheating. It's always been a viscious cycle with them.

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1316315 by plotkinc She started out as a GT6, so the transplant was the body, rather than the engine, does that make a difference?

The Spitfire body is lighter, so that would make for a potential performance advantage over standard GT6.

I am having a bit of an issue with it going nose down in the corners, so am I going to try stiffening the front end some this winter.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Yeah, takes standard coilover springs, widely available from many vendors, just need to choose the right rate and free length to get the ride height you want.
Mind the alignment after fitting springs.
If this is a daily driver, you can choose to promote tire life, or if a dedicated autoX, can use some extreme settings to gain performance, at cost of tire longevity.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster