TRExp

Vendor Market

Spitfire, GT6 Timing Chain cover stiffener - Stops leaks!!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mg-john Avatar
mg-john Gold Member John Hewell
Walhalla, SC, USA   USA
Tired of leaks from the timing chain cover on your Triumph Spitfire or GT6? This timing chain stiffener provides full contact with the front plate and block, stopping the dripping.

Made of 3/16" steel plate, this stiffener, along with the grade 8 hardware, provides an even pressure along the entire bottom half of the timing chain cover.

Often the timing chain cover, made of very thin sheet metal, gets distorted when the attaching bolts are overtightened, creating gaps which leak oil. Solve that problem forever.

Detailed installation sheet included.

Cost: $35.00 including free shipping to mainland USA. International buyers, please contact me with your address so I can calculate shipping costs.

Please contact me if you have questions.

Sorry for the pictures with the crappy looking timing chain cover and front plate! Maybe I'll get them clean someday and re-post the pictures!

If you are intrigued with this idea of this stiffener but don't have one of the above engines, please contact me to see I I can make one for your car. I already have a stiffener for the Spridget A series engines on another posting.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0966.JPG    26 KB
IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG    42.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0959.JPG    44.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Pics?

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

mg-john Avatar
Walhalla, SC, USA   USA
Duh!

Andy and Sherry, thanks for the observation.

Pictures now added.

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jeff in MI Avatar
Jeff in MI Jeff G
Alto, MI, USA   USA
That's a great idea! See it on various other oil pans. Good solution.

papaeeyore Avatar
papaeeyore Gold Member Ronald E. Wells
Montclair, CA, USA   USA
Sounds like a great solution to a common problem. How do I order?

mg-john Avatar
Walhalla, SC, USA   USA
Ronald:

Thanks for your order. I will ship Monday.

John

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Yeah John, about those timing cover leaks ...

They do NOT leak because the cover flexes, they leak because the threads in the block, front cover, or sealing block have been stripped.
Those threads get stripped because some folks mistakenly believe that tighter is better, and fail to observe published torque limits.
The result is stripped threads, and leaks.

Those same folks will buy this product, and then proceed to CRANK DOWN THOSE BOLTS, stripping the threads again, and of course, start leaking again.

Products we DO need in this area:

A stiffener for the oil pan flanges.
This could be 2 or even 3 pieces, that would make it more efficient to cut from sheet with less waste.

A stiffener for the Valve Cover flanges.
This would also require 2 U shaped brackets, that would transfer the clamping force from the VC nuts down to the stiffener.

Carter

mg-john Avatar
Walhalla, SC, USA   USA
Carter:

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I am sure that my little stiffener will not fix stripped bolts!

On the instruction sheet I send with the stiffener I ask that users clean and inspect all the threads involved and if the threads are in good condition, run a tap into the holes to really clean them to get a good torque reading. Then torque to 8-10 ft pounds.

I will look into the matter of stiffeners for the oil pan and the valve cover. I work really slow so it will take some time.

I hope you survived Hermine ok.

Thanks again,

John

clshore Carter Shore
Thanks John,
Technically the Hurricane made landfall north up the coast and missed us, but tides, rain, and wind still had their way with us.
Safe and sound here, only minor damage.

Your timing cover stiffener looks well thought out and well made, who knows, maybe we can achieve a Spitfire that does not leak oil winking smiley

Carter

mg-john Avatar
Walhalla, SC, USA   USA
Thanks to all of you who have inquired and who have purchased the timing chain stiffeners.

It must be time for engine re-builds!

John

billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
In reply to # 1397215 by clshore
who knows, maybe we can achieve a Spitfire that does not leak oil winking smiley

Carter

bwahahahahahahahahahhaha.

Seriously, with this device and a steel sealing block, it should help. I completely rebuilt my engine and I am about to rename it the Exxon Valdese.

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1431528 by billspit
In reply to # 1397215 by clshore
who knows, maybe we can achieve a Spitfire that does not leak oil winking smiley

Carter

bwahahahahahahahahahhaha.

Seriously, with this device and a steel sealing block, it should help. I completely rebuilt my engine and I am about to rename it the Exxon Valdese.

Great Name!

Q: What's the technical term for a Spitfire that doesn't leak oil?
A: Empty

mg-john Avatar
Walhalla, SC, USA   USA
Joe:

Thanks for your purchase.

John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links