AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Burlen does not directly market in the US, but you are able to purchase parts directly from them on the internet. To be fair to RockAuto, Triumphs may not be one of their big selling brands, but they still have rebuild kits for the OEM Stromberg carburetor for reasonable prices, so you can't fault them for not selling parts from a vendor that doesn't market in the US.

I still get a chuckle from their listings for automatic transmissions in a car that never had an automatic available or the 1300 engine that was never offered in Spitfires after 1973., but how much good information is available on these cars for those of us that own them much less for those that aren't familiar with them?

It's your job as an informed consumer to know better than to order an oil pan gasket or filter for a Borg-Warner T-35 transmission that was never offered in any Spitfire (but may have been offered in a Triumph 1500 sedan).

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
In reply to # 1328783 by britsnspits Burlen does not directly market in the US, but you are able to purchase parts directly from them on the internet. To be fair to RockAuto, Triumphs may not be one of their big selling brands, but they still have rebuild kits for the OEM Stromberg carburetor for reasonable prices, so you can't fault them for not selling parts from a vendor that doesn't market in the US.

I still get a chuckle from their listings for automatic transmissions in a car that never had an automatic available or the 1300 engine that was never offered in Spitfires after 1973., but how much good information is available on these cars for those of us that own them much less for those that aren't familiar with them?

It's your job as an informed consumer to know better than to order an oil pan gasket or filter for a Borg-Warner T-35 transmission that was never offered in any Spitfire (but may have been offered in a Triumph 1500 sedan).

When I rebuild either a 150 or 175 cd Stromberg I can simply walk into a Auto Zone,local FLAPS to get one. I tell them what it fits and the next day pick it up at no extra charge. They are usually American made and purchased cheaply. No need to make an online order and wait a couple more days. Plus I can see what I am getting and know m if it's right! I have used Rock Auto for British and European cars,even cars from the Asian market.
They have been good and cheap,but they also have been wrong before. Usually because someone has pulled or stocked the wrong part. In their defense I must say they have made good on it.

BTW the Triumph 1500 sedans used the BW 65 not the BW 35. I am sure the listings can be similar to Ebay, " mirror fits Triumph Spitfire,others".

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
I find Rock Auto to be an excellent resource for buying Spitfire parts. Yes they get things wrong, but as you said, they make good if you call it to their attention. I can also buy many parts from my local Advance Auto parts store, but 90% of the time it's easier to order off their website than in store because of the usual "who made Triumph" or "is that a motorcycle" questions. Things have gotten slightly better since one of their delivery drivers used to race Spitfires back in the day and he's educating the twenty-something counter guys about our rides.

So far, not one thing that I've ordered for the Spitfire from Rock Auto has been wrong, and I've purchased a few close-out items like blower motor fans and rebuilt starters on speculation as Rock Auto has bought out inventory from closed stores and offered them at close out prices. It pays to check the close-outs periodically to stock up on consumables when they are available.

Use this link to find all closeout parts for a 1978 Spitfire: http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1279920&m=wc&l=en&html=true

Or use the trick on the Grassroots Motorsports forum to find the closeout parts for your car.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Thanks!thumbs up I will keep that link handy. I have seen their closeouts advertised before on this site.I can't really say I look for them or pay attention much.
I have only used them about a half dozen times,and only twice for LBC parts. The other times has been for a friends car or my domestic vehicles. I can say I got a really good deal on a Spit-Midget slave cylinder though! After they sent the first one which was for a Kia-Hyundai.

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links