Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

obertRo Avatar
obertRo Gold Member Robert Clark
Holland, Michigan, USA   USA
In reply to # 1335974 by horanoffp Robert. Do you still hav the bonnet lift kit for sale.
Paul Horanoff

Sure do, Paul.
Kits for ALL Spitfires and GT6s now. Find them at the bottom of this page: http://www.clarkandclarkinc.com/triumph.php
Cheers,
Robert

Member Services:
We manufacture over 200 products for LBC's. We make mostly accessories, and a few hard parts. Our first product was the plastic MGB Battery Bin way back in 1989. We now sell retail! Check us out!
MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, California, USA   USA
As a person with one of the kits from Robert I can say it is great and is what Triumph should have done from the start.
Make opening the bonnet a breeze.
Thanks Robert.

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCF1188.JPG    42.5 KB
DSCF1188.JPG

DSCF1190.JPG    39.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
obertRo Avatar
Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

UPDATE:
I now have Kits for all years Spitfire and GT6. They are shown at the bottom of this page: http://www.clarkandclarkinc.com/triumph.php

Member Services:
We manufacture over 200 products for LBC's. We make mostly accessories, and a few hard parts. Our first product was the plastic MGB Battery Bin way back in 1989. We now sell retail! Check us out!
Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Received my struts today and they are great if you havnt got these get with the program

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

christrish Avatar
christrish Chris B
Lehi, Utah, USA   USA
Robert,

I am considering your kit but have heard that it interferes with the stock air cleaner on Stromberg-fitted Spitfires. Has this been addressed/resolved? Thanks.

Working to take the "D" out of DPO since 2013
Follow my restoration progress: http://73spitfire1500.blogspot.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
obertRo Avatar
In reply to # 1349577 by christrish Robert,

I am considering your kit but have heard that it interferes with the stock air cleaner on Stromberg-fitted Spitfires. Has this been addressed/resolved? Thanks.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for asking. I've read the recent threads, and here's what I know:

1. Andy sent me a photo of the Air Tubes on his Spit (see below). We tried the P1212 Kit on his car (which does not mount to the radiator) and it would clear these tubes when he reversed the Ball Stud on the bracket. He also said it looked odd; I'm not sure what he means by that so I've asked him to share a photo.

2. Barry posted this: "I just installed a st from Clark, very straightforward install, all existing holes, no guessing at geometry etc,,,a nice kit, although I had to tweak it a bit, the right hand one was rubbing on my single Stroberg air cleaner hose a bit, but an easy fix, soooo much nicer to lift the hood now!!"

I'm not sure if this is the same issue as Andy had. But apparently he found a fix.

If anyone here Does have an issue that is different than Andy's, please let me know (Robert@ClarkAndClarkInc.com) !

Cheers,

Robert

Member Services:

Attachments:
002.JPG    38.2 KB
002.JPG

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
When I reverse the ball so it clears the SU hoses the angle of the strut from the fender fitting to the ball is nowhere near vertical and looks strange when viewed from behind the car. / \ as opposed to I I

Andy&Sherry

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I must own up to my "it looks odd" comment I had managed to put one strut on the wrong side of the fender,with them both on the correct side and the balls turned around they clear the SU air intake hoses just fine.
Pic 1 is normal installation
Pic 2 is balls out
And a big thanks to Robert for his input

Andy&Sherry

Attachments:
003.JPG    52.9 KB
003.JPG

007.JPG    49.3 KB
britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
I'd just like to point out that the dual carb Euro-air cleaner on Andy's car and the more common single Stromberg air cleaner unit that Chris asked about are two different animals.

RogerE Roger E
Stilwell, USA   USA
Hi all,
I just installed a set of lifts on my 80 Spitfire, well I had the passenger side installed. I discovered that my bonnet won't close. I have dual SU HS4 carbs, with a European air cleaner. It is the type where the tubes at the front are offset instead of coming out in line with the air filters.

The lift hits the tubes as I lower the bonnet. Has anyone managed to install the lifts with this type of air cleaner?

I like the kit and it seems like it would work well, but at the moment it is not going to work for me.

Thanks,
Roger

obertRo Avatar
In reply to # 1373987 by RogerE Hi all,
I just installed a set of lifts on my 80 Spitfire, well I had the passenger side installed. I discovered that my bonnet won't close. I have dual SU HS4 carbs, with a European air cleaner. It is the type where the tubes at the front are offset instead of coming out in line with the air filters.

The lift hits the tubes as I lower the bonnet. Has anyone managed to install the lifts with this type of air cleaner?

I like the kit and it seems like it would work well, but at the moment it is not going to work for me.

Thanks,
Roger

Hi Roger,
For the Euro Carbs like you have, just reverse the Ball Studs on the Brackets, and that should give you enough clearance!
Cheers,
Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-06 12:58 PM by obertRo.

Member Services:
RogerE Roger E
Stilwell, USA   USA
Hi Robert,
Thanks for the quick response. Sorry I have not replied quicker.

At the moment, reversing the ball studs on the brackets won't do the trick. Currently, the ball joint (without the lift on it) on the bonnet is hitting the air cleaner.

However, after doing some research I think I have insulating spacers between the cabs and intake that are not normally used on the Spitfire. I guess they are from MGBs. I need to take those off, but need to dig out proper length studs and a couple of new gaskets first.

I will let you know as soon as manage to get that done.

Thanks,
Roger

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Robert,
Did you ever get any photos of them installed on a Mk1 GT6? If so, can you post them? I am wondering how they attach to the chassis, or what it is they attach to.

Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

obertRo Avatar
In reply to # 1374979 by byakk0 Robert,
Did you ever get any photos of them installed on a Mk1 GT6? If so, can you post them? I am wondering how they attach to the chassis, or what it is they attach to.

Thanks.

Sure thing, Hazen!

Member Services:

Attachments:
Left Side Mount - Compressed.jpg    42.8 KB
Left Side Mount - Compressed.jpg

IMAG1345.jpg    29.6 KB
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Thanks Robert. My assistant keeps grabbing at the prop rod, and even dropped it on me once. I'd hate for her to to drop it on herself when I'm not under the bonnet to stop it. yeah, I need to put a sliding lock on it, but this kit is looking more and more appeasing every time I open the bonnet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

Attachments:
20160503_121536.jpg    13.8 KB
20160503_121536.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster