Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Good advice,doug. Like your description and explanation.winking smiley

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
j-bar-j Avatar
j-bar-j Joel Justin
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
Wow! Is it really that easy? I can't wait to get home tonight to try it. I'll report back...

Thanks, Joel...

tr6easyrider Avatar
tr6easyrider Joe S
Riverside, CA, USA   USA
http://www.zeni.net/trf/TR6greenbook/?s_wt=undefined&s_ht=undefined
TR6-V2-greenbook-Body.pdf
Scroll down to Plate FE
Item #73

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rgauthiermgm Avatar
rgauthiermgm Raymond Gauthier
West Linn, Oregon, USA   USA
Hi Everyone,

I have been searching past posts re: installation of a factory hardtop on my newly acquired '71 TR-6. I found reference to a video (You Tube?) but can't find the actual video. Anyone have a lead for me?

Thanks,

rgauthiermgm Avatar
rgauthiermgm Raymond Gauthier
West Linn, Oregon, USA   USA
Never mind - found it.
For anyone interested it's located at:
[url=][/url]

j-bar-j Avatar
j-bar-j Joel Justin
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
I think that adjustment will do it. My upper stops were set to the lowest setting (slid towards the back edge of the door). I slid them all the way forward and gained about 3/16" of an inch or height, which isn't enough, but was enough to cause my window to hit the aluminum windscreen cap when the door was closed. That made it obvious to me that I'd need to make a slight windscreen angle adjustment as the swept-back door window edge was not quite parallel with the windscreen. I ran out of time to tackle this last night.

I will also need a little more than 3/16", so I'll either need to drill some more holes (expand the slots) in the door, or modify the upper stop bracket. I'll remove it tonight to see which makes the most sense. And since I haven't been doing this with the hardtop on (I removed it for better access), I'll also need to reinstall it to get final fitting.

I'll report back again on the final results (may be a couple of weeks...).

Joel...

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
If the glass hits the top aluminum frame cap then its high enough and something else is wrong.
was the car restored with all new floors and rockers? whats the history of the car?
does the soft top fit? how do the doors fit? door gaps? how does the HT fit on the back deck?
sounds to me that the top is too high for some reason. OR you have the wrong door seals around the top of the top.
your door seals should be the same all the way around... including the HT.

take some pics of the glass and the HT gap.

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
I restored and installed a 6 HT a few years ago; the same color as yours; and it fits perfectly but the gap with the soft top sucks b/c the frame joint above the glass wont stay flat/level.

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

j-bar-j Avatar
j-bar-j Joel Justin
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
Doug,

I actually started there - thinking the hardtop wasn't fitting correctly, but I've dismissed that after going thru all the things you suggested. As far as I can tell, the car has never been in an accident (frame is very straight, door fit is perfect) nor has ever had any evidence of rust (floors are solid and there is no evidence of welding from underneath). I haven't fitted the soft top yet as I'm missing a few pieces which I do have on (back) order, so I can't compare that yet. The hard top seems to fit on the back deck and windscreen top tightly. It's as low on the back deck as possible without risking paint scratches. All the weatherstripping looks new. I did work with TRF on whether I had the correct weatherstripping. The sent me a number of samples and and what I have does appear correct. Even if it wasn't, none of the samples would make up for a 1/2" gap. I will take a couple of photos once I get the hardtop back on (probably next week sometime) and post them.

Thanks, Joel...

Robfromperth Rob W
Perth, Western Australia, Australia   AUS
1974 Triumph TR6 "Firefly"
Guys I have a similar but slightly different problem I would appreciate any ideas, my window is 15mm (5/8 inch) low at the front top when the back edge is at the top. There also seems to be more of a gap at the front bottom. It's like the window is out of square.
I have checked everything I can measure and it all seems good, nothing bent, original winder.
When I bought the car the windows were not in it so I don't know if this is how it always was.
Thanks
Rob

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
Rob,did you read posts 9-15 here?

j-bar-j Avatar
j-bar-j Joel Justin
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
Rob W. - I would definitely start with your window tracks. They are what controls the window angles - both front-to-back and in-and out at the top. The regulator controls the window roll-up height, both up and down. Your first order of business is to get the angles correct, then you can fine tune the height. After doing both of these things, I was able to get my windows to roll up all the way with a reasonable tight seal.

If your tracks are old and/or worn, you might consider replacing them, as that could be a big part of your problem. If they're in good shape, you should loosen all the bolts; top and bottom, front and back, and I don't means a little, but a lot. You want the freedom of moving the window around when rolled up to see if you can achieve proper angles. Assuming you can, you'll need to add or remove shims (washers) between the tracks and the doors. Since your windows seems to tilt forward at the top, you'll need to remove washers from the top rear and bottom front, and/or add washers to the top front and bottom rear. In doing this, you'll want to be sure you don't make the window too tight or too loose in the tracks.

After you have the front-to-back angle adjusted properly, you'll need to fiddle with the in-and-out adjustment. Since you've loosened all the bolts, you want to tighten them up (hand-tight) to you can still move the tracks in and out, but tight enough that they'll stay where you move them too. Adjusting the top of the tracks in-and-out will allow you to center the window in the door slot (between the waist seals). Adjusting the bottom of the tracks in-and-out will change the angle of the window and control how tight or loose it is against the top rubber seal on the hard top.

Lastly, you need to adjust the roll-up height. There are two nuts on the door about mid-way up and about 35-50mm apart in a horizontal position. One the inside of the door the hold a flat metal bracket that has a small lip on one end. The lip is a stop for the regulator. If you loosen the nuts, you can slide the bracket back and forth and reset you roll-up height. Start by sliding it all the way one way, snug the nuts and see where your window stops. Now go all the way the other way and see where it stops. Now you'll know the range and you can tune it to where you want it to stop. There is a similar nut/bracket assembly in the center of the door at the bottom. This adjusts up and down and controls the down position of the window.

I hope this makes sense. It may sound complicated, but once you're into it, it's pretty intuitive and not that hard. But it does take a little fiddling to get it just right. And don't expect perfection, but you will definitely improve your situation. Good luck!

Joel...

Robfromperth Rob W
Perth, Western Australia, Australia   AUS
1974 Triumph TR6 "Firefly"
Thanks Joel
That makes perfect sense, I didn't consider the tracks as I put new ones in. I have gone and looked and it's so dam obvious now that I had them twisting the glass forward
Rob

pathman98 Gary Assarian
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, USA   USA
i have a gap between the window and my soft top, equal on both sides. does anyone have any suggestions

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
Well,maybe your top has shrunk. How old is it? Next questions are where is the gap? Is it at the top or back corner of the window? Adjustments to the window inside the door can be made. We can actually ask you more questions here than you can ask us, if u do not describe better or have photos. Just remember we are not there to see it!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster