Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

j-bar-j Avatar
j-bar-j Joel Justin
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
I recently purchased a 1974 TR6 with a factory hard top. The only problem is the windows don't roll up all the way. Both the drivers and passengers windows have about a 3/4" gap at the top. At first I thought the hard top wasn't all the way tight, but even when I snugged it up, there was still a gap. Next I thought maybe there was a gasket problem. I removed the hard top but everything seems in order. I know that while it is a factory hard top, it didn't originally come with the car, so,I checked to see if there were different models for,different years. Nope. Also checked to see if there were different windows or regulators. Nope. The only other thing I can think of is a PO put in the wrong (or cheap) regulators or some other window hardware. But it's baffling that it's the same on both windows. I haven't taken the door panels off yet to investigate things further. Before I do, I'd thought I check to see if anyone has had a similar experience, and if so, what they did to correct it. Thanks in advance for the responses!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chastelese charles telese
allentown, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "My Crisis"
I presume that the windows roll up and do not leave a gap when the ragtop is covering the car.

j-bar-j Avatar
j-bar-j Joel Justin
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
That's on my list of things to check. I have the soft top, but not all the mounting hardware. It's on order, so hopefully I can try this in a few weeks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Joel,are the seals there that the HT is supposed to have to seal the windows? Maybe that is the problem or the ones that should be there are wrong. I have seen others that do not have the correct seals because someone used cheap by the foot universal seals that are not the same. Some of the things like this were not available back in the day or quite expensive and people just made do. Try some investigating!

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

j-bar-j Avatar
j-bar-j Joel Justin
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
Patrick,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did investigate the rubber (bristleflex) seals. The ones over the side windows looks correct, but I worked with Albert at TRF to verify. He sent me several samples from several models and the TR6 version was exactly what I had. Also, as I thought about it, if it were a 1/8" or 1/4" gap, that would be a more likely solution, but with >1/2" gap, I don't think a different seal could work.

Thanks, Joel...

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
Well it certainly looks like you did the right thing. I always had good luck with the Roadster Factory and it was nice of them to do that for you. Sure does seem strange that something grew or shrank. That is too much gap if a half inch or more. I will do some thinking and look into it for you. I am sure you have tried pulling up on the windows to check for slop? All they do is sit in a channel,I have seen ones fall down too far because of missing stops. Do they seem to wind easily and not drop back down?

j-bar-j Avatar
j-bar-j Joel Justin
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
I did look to see if they were sitting lower than normal inside the door when rolled down, and while they were a little lower than my TR4 (basically the same door), it was not enough to make up the >1/2" gap. I don't think I tried wiggling them to see how much slop there was. I'll try that tonight. I was also thinking that if there were any adjustments (oval bolt holes) for the regulators, that maybe they were installed incorrectly. A PO replaced a bunch of door stuff about 15 years ago (I have a tremendous amount of receipts!), and I was thinking it may be misadjusted. But since I haven't removed the door panels yet, I don't know for sure. I'll let you know how the wiggle test comes out. And thanks for any additional ideas you have!

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
Okay,well you might be right about a P.O. messing about. He might have been consistent too if both sides are equally wrong(lol). See if this helps. Go to the Tech library on the site here. Type in TR6 hardtop problems. There is some advice and articles which I do not have the time now to go through. There is even a video posted on how to install one! Hope this helps you find an answer. Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 02:22 PM by Triumph Racer.

hogan1945 Avatar
hogan1945 Silver Member Douglas F
Woodbury, Minnesota, USA   USA
1968 Pontiac GTO "Tempest"
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6    & more
Joel, you will need to adjust your window tracks. I had the same issue when I installed my top for the first time. What I did was just pulled the glass out of the track and put some of that weather putty, the type that comes on a roll you just peel off. worked it into the window track so the glass would go only about half into the track. the putty still held the glass fine when glass reinstalled. then tweaked the window regulator if needed to make up the rest of the gap.
Good luck

uplandguy57 Avatar
uplandguy57 Gary R
Sheffield, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
I also have a 74 TR6 with a hard top and my windows also have a 1/2" gap between the top of the window and the top. I don't mind it since the TR is such an air tight car that it will just help me close the doors. I was told to check the regulators and see if they are not allowing the window to go all the way up.

j-bar-j Avatar
j-bar-j Joel Justin
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
Glad to hear I'm not the first person to have this problem!

Gary - I thought of just leaving it that way too, as having the window cracked or all the way open was probably how I'd drive it most of the time anyway. But then it rained and things inside got a bit wet. So I do want to fix this.

Doug - Is the top photo a before adjustment and the bottom one an after? The gap I think I see on the top photo (towards the back edge of the window) is about exactly what I have. After your adjustments, do you have any issues with the window being too high when you use your soft top, or do you not have/use a soft top? In the end, that doesn't really matter to me as I'll use the TR6 with the hardtop in the winter and NO top in the summer, just curious though. It looks like I'll be removing my door panels soon to look at the regulator and track. I like your idea about the sticky weather seal.

Thanks all, Joel...

P.S. I've changed my photo so you can at least see what my TR6 looks like!

hogan1945 Avatar
hogan1945 Silver Member Douglas F
Woodbury, Minnesota, USA   USA
1968 Pontiac GTO "Tempest"
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6    & more
No both were after, pictures must be deceiving. No windows roll up tight on the soft top. I went out in the garage to measure how much I had to raise the windows to fit better to the top of the hardtop, and it was about half an inch higher only. So maybe your window tracks are where I would start first.
Read the forum on how to remove the interior window, and door handles. I hate to remove thoughts little pins that hold them in place.
Good Luck

j-bar-j Avatar
j-bar-j Joel Justin
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
Well, I finally got around to removing one of the door panels. The regulator and guides look to be in good shape. I removed the regulator screws and was only able to gain maybe a half inch in "up" adjustment. I'm going to try Doug's trick of raising the glass in the track. Doug - how did you get the glass out of the track? I don't see any fastenings so I'm guessing it's just a friction fit. But I can't get it to move and I'm afraid to use too much force. Any tips anyone?

Thanks, Joel...

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
Channel lock pliers are the mystery tool. That's why they call them channel locks. Spread the channel with them and we used to squeeze the window channel tighter once glass was removed. Since yours are tight and not dislodged you should not need to squeeze them tighter. Plus your putting in the body seal tape gook,right?

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
just next to the inside door handle are 2 small bolts that limit the top limit of the glass regulator.
just loosen them and wind the glass up and then tighten them back to where you want them.
the same applies to the lower limit of the glass; on the inside on the bottom center is the lower limit bracket; loose and raise so the glass will be level to the rubber etc...

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster