AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Thunderinjp Avatar
Thunderinjp John Inch
Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Little Red"
In reply to # 1490663 by Jorgy I finished installing new thrust washers, put the oil pan on, working on getting the windshield out for dash pad replacement, crash pads replacement and new wood dash.

Going with the standard black or a colour match from here; http://www.john-skinner.co.uk/triumph/ I want to do mine, (maybe next year or so), but in tan with a new walnut dash and magenta gauges . . . .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Nemo74 Emile Bergeron
Falmouth, Massachusetts, USA   USA
Attended the Cape Cod British Car Club British Legends Weekend,
about 60 cars in attendance. It was a great day until the rain started.

BTW, won third place in the 'Modified' division for the fuel injection
system.

1974 TR6
.020 overbore
GP2 cam
9:1 CR
MegaSquirt EFI ECU
Ford EDIS-6 ignition
Custom port injection intake manifold with single throttle body
Toyota 5 speed

w147ik Avatar
w147ik Heinrich Koncki
George, Western Cape, South Africa   ZAF
1963 Morris Mini Traveller "Moritz"
2001 BMW Z3 "Wife's Car"
Pictures please.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Magicmarker77 Mark Stennett
Belgrave, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I cleaned it after 30 years in captivity!
44000 original Surviver.
Purchased from the original owner.
We have a long road ahead but it will be worth it!

Attachments:
IMG_0001.JPG    60.9 KB
IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG    45.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0013.JPG    47.2 KB
TomChar Avatar
TomChar Silver Member Tom Coulter
Springfield, PA, USA   USA
Long road ahead? Looks to me like the journey was completed by the third picture!! Congrats on the find, that's a good looking car. And welcome to the club.

Tom
1974 TR6 CF24871UO. Dual Weber MCHH carbs.

edfmay Avatar
edfmay Edwin May
Loveland, Colorado, USA   USA
The British Motoring Club of Northern Colorado, we had our 21st annual Oil Spot Rally.
An incredible 2-hr. drive threw the mountains ending up at a restaurant for lunch and a raffle of 35-prizes that were donated by local business'.
We had 37-cars participate. With a prize for the largest oil spot and the most artistic oil spot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-24 06:00 PM by edfmay.

Thanks, it's good from the sidewalk better from the road! Paint is a mess full of chips and scratches from 30 years of neglect,
Floors and frame are great but need to clean then up. Interior is very good needs a carpet though, it's musty and faded.
Brakes need to be completely re done, clutch master and slave are shot.
Motor rolls over but have not started it yet.
The story I get is the engine was rebuilt at 37000 because it lost oil pressure ( this was done by Layland in 81)

It's going to get a complete redo in a couple years, the car deserves it.

Cheers!

staylor4 Silver Member Sam Taylor
Kansas City, Missouri, USA   USA
Hey Mark, I have a '74 TR6 that I drove quite a bit when I first got her in 74, then from '82 until 2004 she was driven about once per year then she sat from then until last winter because she had developed a massive engine fuel leak. Last winter I brought her back to life. Had to do all the things you mentioned--brake system including caliper rebuild and clutch and brake cylinder rebuilds. Also removed the oil pan and cleaned out about an inch of sludge, replaced a lot of hoses and replaced the top and the carpeting and had the seats reupholstered. It's good you 'stored' your car with the top up. Mine was down a great deal of the time and shrunk and would not fit properly. It looks like you have the original top with the reflective tape. Good luck with her. You're going to have a great time and a great car.
Sam

TomChar Avatar
TomChar Silver Member Tom Coulter
Springfield, PA, USA   USA
As an original car there's something to be said about going for a restoration and keeping original parts, but the paint looks good from here, so that says driver to me! My '74 is a daily driver, it's just so enjoyable. It's mostly all local, so that's easier. I installed the copper brake line kit from Moss last year, not a bad job, especially if you can really get the car high off the ground. All new brakes all around and it's great. When I did my clutch, I saw that pulling the oil pan was pretty easy so that came off as well. You can learn a lot about your engine from peering inside. I got carpet from ebay, and I left the drivers side out and just use the rubber mat that came with it, to keep that part clean. It goes in on date night! You've got all winter now, take your time and enjoy this part!

Tom
1974 TR6 CF24871UO. Dual Weber MCHH carbs.

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   USA
Nice looking car Mark. Congrats on a good find - should make an excellent starting point for whatever you've got in mind. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your TR.

Best,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

Tote Tony M
Kingston, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I agree with Tom, this is the proverbial barn find and I think you should keep it as stock as possible and keep its "patina" in tact, warts and all. Recently that has been the trend with car collectors, plus you can enjoy it without fear of ruining the new paint job and save some bucks if you need transmission and engine work.

Tony

Thanks for all the kind comments,
I know what you’re saying about leave it alone, I once had an original 68 road runner with original paint unmolested Scratches chips a tiny bit of rust, paint was dead. I drove the hell out of that car and use to pile 6 of my closet friends in it and head to the beach. It was an awesome car that way, then I decided to restore it, it became a garage queen, it became the “don’t look at it don’t even think of touching it car” and omg not rain! So I know what your saying.
The TR has the usual issues, seams in the quarters are starting to show a bit of rust and 2 dime size spots on the fenders. Paint has been monkied with on the bottom of the drivers 1/4 and one spot near the back at the taillight drivers side. Rockers were stone guarded and painted. Bumpers were really bad but I managed to clean them up using the tin foil trick, they are still pitted but look good when your walking past, So in saying that its not a totally original example. I am going to drive it as is for a year or two then decide.

On another note I really want a clean example, back in 75 when my father was posted in Ramstein Germany with NATO he had a British friend named Ivan Chapman who owned the Layland dealership. He owned a bright white TR6 and use to take me on day trips in it. I loved it and always thought it was the coolest car! I always said I would own one. I’ve had a 68 Runner a 69 Camaro, 71 SS and I’ll tell you nothing has ever brought me back to my youth like this car has. I wouldn’t give it up to have any of those cars back!

Now that I’ve hijacked this thread I had better stop

P.S if anyone has information on Ivan Chapman I’d love to reconnect. I believe he owned the dealership for many years after we left
Cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 03:48 PM by Magicmarker77.

jsl123 Avatar
jsl123 Silver Member Jeremy Langdon
Cary, North Carolina, USA   USA
Hey guys,
Newbie Triumph owner here (not new to Triumphs, however, as I used to work at Henly's Garage - a Jaguar-Rover-Triumph dealer - back in England whilst I was in school)!
Not exactly "today", but on Monday I picked up my latest toy - 1971 TR6 CC66777L - from Gassman Automtoive in Waynesboro VA.
On Tuesday, a beautiful fall day, I took it out on several short trips along the back roads around my home in North Carolina.
Here's some shots of the new baby...

Attachments:
IMG_0426.JPG    69.2 KB
IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG    60.7 KB
IMG_0431.JPG    71.7 KB
IMG_0432.JPG    58.8 KB
staylor4 Silver Member Sam Taylor
Kansas City, Missouri, USA   USA
Bet those were fun rides!!!

Thunderinjp Avatar
Thunderinjp John Inch
Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Little Red"
In reply to # 1492793 by jsl123 Hey guys,
Newbie Triumph owner here (not new to Triumphs, however, as I used to work at Henly's Garage - a Jaguar-Rover-Triumph dealer - back in England whilst I was in school)!
Not exactly "today", but on Monday I picked up my latest toy - 1971 TR6 CC66777L - from Gassman Automtoive in Waynesboro VA.
On Tuesday, a beautiful fall day, I took it out on several short trips along the back roads around my home in North Carolina.
Here's some shots of the new baby...

Love the colour --- of course, I'm a little bias . . . LOL

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster