AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dcatron Avatar
dcatron Dave Catron
Murrieta, California, USA   USA
1975 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB "Guinness"
My TR6 is giving me fits trying to diagnose an issue. When releasing the clutch in 1st and 2nd gear, I hear a clunking noise. I thought it might be a U joint going out but everything feels nice and snug. Any ideas?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I'd do a visual on the motor mounts, and then proceed to drop the diff to inspect where it is mounted to the frame. It's very common for the mounting points to tear loose, and difficult to detect with the diff in place (until it comes lose entirely, which is NOT a Good Thing).

The usual suspects will have the kit to reinforce the diff mounts, but it's a tough welding job so you may need to have it towed to a shop for the work.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

yycdave Avatar
yycdave Dave More
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph TR6 "Miles"
Dave, if what Randall suggests turns out to be okay you should also check the sliding rear axles for lubrication. Without a good coating of hi temp moly grease the splines in the axles can contribute to a clunking sound. It's not as serious as broken diff mounts though, and can be dealt with fairly easily yourself. Keep us posted!

Cheers,
Dave

76 CF58310UO

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
The Liz Michael Brasfield
mesa, AZ, USA   USA
1965 AC Cobra "HISSY"
1974 Triumph TR6
I have the same noise but I think it is in the rear end. However, I talked with a TR mechanic and told him my sound. He said to check the main bearing "thrust washers" on the crank. He said put the car on a rack and have some push the clutch in and out while you watch the pulley and damper assembly to see if it moves in and out. If it does move they need to be replaced. I assume the engine is running while you do this. I had my car on jack stands and could turn the rear wheels a little until the rear gears engaged in the differential. Another long time owner told me it's probably the thrust washers in the differential between the side gears and the carrier. It would be a lot easier to replace the thrust washers on the crank than pull the differential. Make sure you post the solution when you find it. I'll be reading. Good luck.

KellyfromVA Kelly Alford
Stafford, VA, USA   USA
If the noise is coming from behind your seat and you have lever shocks, check the tightness of where the lever(s) connect. I've had those nuts work lose (Hate when that happens) and it clucks when speeding up or taking your foot off the gas quickly.

foofnik Avatar
foofnik Lew M
New York, USA   USA
I've checked everything and still get a squeaky/screechy sound when starting from a stop or accellerating after decellerating. removed axles and rocked the input flange on the left and heard it from coming the right. No problem running..no clunk...diff seems solid

wright p.j. wright
pittsburgh, pa, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "MIASSIS DRAGON"
IF IT IS BROKEN DIF. MOUNT IT WILL CLACK RATHER THAN CLUNK , AND AN INSPECTION WILL PLAINLY SHOW IF IT HAS SEPARATED, A COMMON PROBLEM ON THE RIGHT SIDE. MY EXPERT ACTUALLY REPAIRED MINE IN THE CAR WITH A WELDER BUT IT REQUIRED SOMEONE MUCH MORE LIMBER THAN ME TO GET TOO IT . THE CLUNKS COME FROM SEVERAL SOURCES, FROM UNIVERSAL JOINTS, THE SHOCKS BEING LOOSE, SPLINES ON THE SPOKE WHEELS BECOMING WORN, ETC. SEEMS MOST OF THE GUYS IN OUR CLUB HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM INCLUDING ME AND AFTER CHECKING ALL THE USUAL SUSPECTS JUST LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT.

jtmjbda Jeff Chappell
Herriman, UT, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Mrs Thatcher"
Hey, I found this thread after posting my problem a few minutes ago--sound a bit similar, but not exactly the same. You guys gave me some ideas to check. I already checked the shocks, since I had them off for cleaning and inspection a few months ago; slapping some grease into the spline area might help--if I try that and the noise goes away or reduces, I may have found this week's problem.
Thanks!
Jeff

Dudley1675 Avatar
Dudley1675 Dan Dudley
Douglas, Massachusetts, USA   USA
I am having this clunk on my 1974 TR6, just had the right rear hub replaced because it was making it's own noise. After that was done I started hearing this clunk coming from behind and center of the drive train only when I am starting from a stop after engaging the clutch. My local tech says he has chacked everything for tightness, all seems well.
Have you found out anything else on this issue since you posted your comments?
Thanks,
Dan

Attachments:
20171027_130826.jpg    68.3 KB
20171027_130826.jpg

wright p.j. wright
pittsburgh, pa, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "MIASSIS DRAGON"
Try the simple and easy things first is always wise..I get the clunks every so often in my Tr6 and it is cured by making sure the oil level is topped off in the lever shocks. They don't appear to leak but that oil goes somewhere and when it does it the "clunk" returns.

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, Ohio, USA   USA
All good tips on things to check, I had three of those problems at on time, loosened lever shock bolt, broken rear right front diff mount and excessive slop in crank from thrust washer that was installed incorrect. If you haven't check your crankshaft end play I would do that soon, could cause a major engine problem. Not difficult to check your U joints also. Good luck.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster