AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Thunderinjp Avatar
Thunderinjp John Inch
Glace Bay, NS, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Little Red"
I may have scored a reasonably good hard top for my Tr-6. Question; I noticed in a video describing the installation process that there are 2 bolts which go up, through the windshield frame to anchor the top at the front. There are no holes there for this and from what I have seen it is pretty ratty looking. My question; do I have to drill a hole in the under frame or is there a special frame I should buy?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
philstr6 phil Jaegeling
arroyo grande calif, USA   USA
John
the holes are already there,they are just covered up by the vinyl,put your soft top back and you should see thee holes fronm the top of the frame,make sure you poke the right wholes,the holes could be plug with a rubber plug,take a look
Philstr6
Phil

Thunderinjp Avatar
Thunderinjp John Inch
Thanks, Phil; I see the holes on the top of the windshield frame, (covered with rubber plugs inboard of the soft top anchor points), but the vinyl (?) on the interior side of the frame is smooth, (no hole through which to feed the anchor bolts). This is what I mean; do I drill them out or what?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
philstr6 phil Jaegeling
John
the holes are already in the frame just covered by vinyl,a punch will get you thru the vinyl
Phil

Thunderinjp Avatar
Thunderinjp John Inch
I was following this video, (some one in Ontario), and it showed the holes under the windshield frame. They didn't look like 'factory' cut holes. I guess I'll have to cut them out . . . .

Thanks again, Phil . . . .

philstr6 phil Jaegeling
Hi John
thats David(Tush),has some very nice cars and very nolable,the hole is already drilled,all you have to do is poke the hole with a punch or pick
Philstr6
Phil

StevenH Avatar
StevenH Steven Howitt
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
Look for two rubber plugs and remove them to expose the holes

docman Avatar
docman Bob Harris
Dearborn, MI, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "SOLD"
1983 Ford Mustang "Daddy's"
2007 Saab 95 Wagon "SOLD"
2013 Ford Focus "SOLD"    & more
It's been MANY years, but I seem to remember having a dedicated vinyl boot (that came with the hardtop), which covered the soft top while staying mostly attached and folded back.
Or you could (obviously) remove the sot top as Dave Tush, for more room.

Does anyone else remember these?

StevenH Avatar
StevenH Steven Howitt
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
Yes, you are correct. I have one for my car as well as the standard one.

hogan1945 Avatar
hogan1945 Silver Member Douglas F
Woodbury, MN, USA   USA
1968 Pontiac GTO "Tempest"
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6    & more
Looks like this installed

Thunderinjp Avatar
Thunderinjp John Inch
This picture seems to show the soft top still installed, (but folded). The video I watched removed the soft top mechanism prior to installing the hard top; can I assume from that picture that it's possible to have both on the car simultaneously?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 02:32 PM by Thunderinjp.

hogan1945 Avatar
hogan1945 Silver Member Douglas F
Woodbury, MN, USA   USA
1968 Pontiac GTO "Tempest"
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6    & more
Yes, it's a bit of fiddling around to tuck the top down like normal, and the bar that attaches the top to the rear deck is a little difficult to tuck down properly. Then you just snap the special hard top boot cover in place. First time for me was about an hour process.

Thunderinjp Avatar
Thunderinjp John Inch
Thanks, Douglas; I appreciate the info . . . .

charfromedmonds Avatar
charfromedmonds Charlene F
Edmonds, WA, USA   USA
Well I don't have advice on installing your hard top, but I do have advice on attempting to KEEP your hard top! Many years ago I had a factory hard top in my TR6, and woke up one morning to seeing it gone. Poof! Vandals broke the back window and unbolted the hard top, probably eventually selling it. So be ware of hard top thieves!

Char

Thunderinjp Avatar
Thunderinjp John Inch
That's one of the reasons my TR and my bikes are under lock and key in an alarmed and heated garage --- I like to pamper my toys . . . (^_^)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster