Roll Bars please post pictures !!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Captanno Dan Valentini
Rocklin, California, USA   USA
Full knowing that this cars was not purchased as one of the safer vehicles, what is the consensus on roll bars? Please post pics of your roll bars if you can.

Hadn't really wanted one before but with all this talk of occasional axle failures one has to wonder if it's not a bad idea...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-07 11:46 AM by Captanno.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR6Ken Avatar
TR6Ken Ken U
Loomis, CA, USA   USA
Hey Dan,

We think a lot alike. I've been thinking of putting in a roll bar. I think it adds to the sporty look as well as having some functionality.

Captanno Dan Valentini
Definitely some research before purchase is needed, I understand there are different heights, and styles.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
I have an aftermarket roll bar that came with my 78 Spitfire that has yet to be bolted down. My understanding is that most aftermarket bars are for show, and can actually be a hazard in a crash. OTOH, if the car actually rolls, my guess is that any roll bar is better than no roll bar. YMMV.

dogdad Avatar
dogdad Ron C
Marathon, FL, USA   USA
I used to hang with a friend that had a roll-bar in his 4A. One day I happened to bump against the roll-bar, and noticed that it somehow didn't feel like a real metal one. When I asked about it, he revealed that it was made of PVC and was quite proud of it and bragged about how "Good it looked, especially compared to an expensive real one". Made me wonder if his tires were made of real rubber.

If I was considering wanting/needing a roll-bar, I'd sure go for it. Peace of mind, and all...

Fredericknakos Avatar
Fredericknakos Frederick Nakos
St-Ours, Quebec, Canada   CAN
My two cents.

I had a chromed roll bar and gave it away to someone here.

I'm not a racer.
The roll bar interfered with storing the soft top and the seat belt.
For my taste it was not high enough. A roll bar HAS to be higher than your head.
A single loop affair has to be bolted on something strong such as the frame at one end and also the other end. Bolting it to the floor pan is not sufficient. A single loop roll bar needs a third oblique post bolted to the rear to support it and help it withstand any lateral shock such as the ground. Then you complement this installation with REAL 4 point seatbelts that hold you to your seat if you do ever go upside down. No use having a superior roll bar higher than your head if you come crashing down on your head if you are rolled.
For real protection you need more than a roll bar, a roll cage affair is what is needed in race conditions.....and that looks sh***y. A single loop roll bar will get bent if all componants are not strong enough.
The worst ones I have seen so far, bought for looks alone are on that small Japanese import that is derived from the MGB.

Accidents do happen, we are never protected enough. On the other hand, gather close now, the Spit is not exactly a safe car. There are no crumple zones, the hood will decapitate you in some circumstances, that fuel tank just in back is hasardous to say the least....etc.
A proper roll bar? Why not. If it was mandatory, it would be there.

TR6Ken Avatar
TR6Ken Ken U
Loomis, CA, USA   USA
While I don't plan on taking the car out on the track, as I have with other cars, if I were upside down in this car, I would rather have an imperfect roll bar than none at all.

tr6bobnf Avatar
tr6bobnf Bob Evans
Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada   CAN
Dan:
Mine is strictly for looks, commonly called a "style bar" and I would think, no help in a rollover. Had one in my '67 TR4A back in the day and wanted one for the TR6 and don't like the full-size standard bar. Simply my preference. one could possibly strengthen by attaching to the frame with mods but I chose to just bolt it in there. I really like the asymmetrical look of the single hoop on one side only. Here's a pic.
Cheers,

Captanno Dan Valentini
Thanks for the picture, that's one to consider.

NovasTaylor Avatar
NovasTaylor Tim Williams
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Dan,

I spent considerable time pondering this question as well, especially after reading this story about a recent TR6 fatality in California. (Don't let your significant other read this...)

I purchased a "used" roll over bar locally from a TR6 that was involved in a multiple roll-over situation. I believe at least one occupant was ejected (no seat belt) and both only had injuries, no fatalities. The car was totaled with damage to every body panel, but the roll bar survived intact within only minor surface damage. "Tried and survived" as a good selling point for me. It is the bar sold by Moss and as far as I know, it only attaches to the sheet metal within the cockpit. I have not installed it yet, obviously. I am looking into obtaining some thicker gauge metal that I plan to run from the front to rear bolts of the bar on each side to provide more strength.

I removed a roll bar from my MGB because that one seemed especially cosmetic. The sheet metal by the battery box where it attached is very thin and not a good attachment structure. No offense to those of you who have them, but I don't see the point of a "cosmetic" roll bar. One made of PVC for looks? WHY?? Also put a NOx sticker on there to make you feel faster?

Back to the original story you can plainly see that the roll bar did not allow the driver to escape his burning vehicle. This is one of my greatest fears with the TR6, given placement of the fuel tank. If you roll over and can't get out, God help you. I am considering stashing a knife in an easily accessible location in order to cut the seat belt in case of rollover. If you have your weight on the belts they can be a devil to release.

All this said, I am going to go ahead and install the roll bar. I looked into roll cages etc. but I agree with Frederick that they look like crap and would also make the car a lot less accessible/roomy for passengers. HA! Here I end my post by talking about looks. Where's my PVC? smiling smiley

Tim

Tim W.
71 TR6 "The TRawler"
73 MGB GT "Royale with Cheese"
80 MGB LE "ZOM B"
"Modern cars - they all look like electric shavers." - Marv (Sin City)

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Make sure the gas tank seals are in good condition and the roll bar should keep the cap from popping open.

TR6Ken Avatar
TR6Ken Ken U
Loomis, CA, USA   USA
Scored today.

Captanno Dan Valentini
Nice! Is that going in soon?

TR6Ken Avatar
TR6Ken Ken U
Loomis, CA, USA   USA
Right after I get the dash back together and my ignition key sorted out.

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec B
Bellingham, WASHINGTON, USA   USA
I have one available, if anybody is interested. This race car is a little sideways, but the chrome roll bar looks good.

Attachments:
Roll bar.jpg    29.1 KB
Roll bar.jpg

Triumph+TR-4A+1966,+Ron+Jacobs.jpg    39.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
FIMG_3905B.jpg    33.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links