AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you buy your Triumph TR6 or TR250 brand new and you still own it to this day? If so, please post the oldest photo of you & your car in this thread, and maybe write a little story about what prompted you to buy a TR6 at the time!

* Also welcome in this thread are stories & photos from TR6 & TR250 owners where another family member (parent, grandparent, etc) bought the car new and it has stayed in the family until present day

Looking forward to reading your story!

Skye Nott
Webmaster

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
thebillcollector Patrick L.
Keene, USA   USA
My father in law bought this 1976 new in CT from I think Marino Motors in Middletown, CT. He had not driven the car in years and in 1992 I got it running. After that it was driven a few miles a year until in 1998 my wife and I moved to NC, and the inlaws retired there as well. The car still sat and was driven by me on the weekends a few miles to go to the beach and back. I put a new interior in it in 2002, and she's completely original. The car runs mint, and at 41k miles, I shipped the car from NC to NH where it now sits in my garage. Correction.....it's now at my local mechanic who's trying to get that damn oil filter gasket and oil filter canister on! I can never get that thing to line up.

The car will be given to our son when the time comes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-25 12:55 PM by thebillcollector.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
tr6.jpg    21.6 KB
tr6.jpg

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
A lot of owners have gone to the spin-on filters, to avoid some of the hassles in changing filters. Not me! After changing my own oil for most of the last 39 years, I learned the trick to reinstalling the filter housing. One such method is to scribe a line around the housing, before taking it off. If one doesn't want to scratch the paint, a strip of masking tape around the perimeter, close as possible to the engine block, will do. Upon replacing this housing, we now have a guide line to go by. No unknown cocking before the draw bolt is started.

Before the draw bolt gets to the half way point, turn the housing by hand, It should turn freely, telling that it's not cocked.

Only one rubber O-ring in the groove. It's not necessary to change this O-ring at each filter replacement. I generally use the same one for several years. The housing always seems to find it's groove in the 'ring.

Dick Taylor
'73 TR6

palermo russ n
Providence, northeast, USA   USA
]I have a long wingspan but regardless if you remove the air filters then get on a step stool from the opposite side of the oil filter canister it's more natural or you can remove your belt and lay over the engine. If you have a left handed person handy -even better.
Russ

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cwtr1976 Avatar
cwtr1976 carmen dortono
St.Catharines, ontario, Canada   CAN
I worked for performance cars in st. catharines ontario canada and drove a lot of british cars for the dealership. I fell in love with the TR6 because of it's looks ,sound and handling .but I always had to have a second car for work, rainy days and winter.the original goodyear red lines lasted for many years but were replaced with Michelin red lines that looked nice ,wore too well because the rubber was hard as a rock .terrible in the rain .finally replaced them with a set of black walls so I didn't have to sell a grandkid to pay for new red lines. but i did find a web site with a good tire calculator http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Brosky Paul Rego
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
My wife bought our TR6 new in 1974 and we've had it ever since. Here is a picture of it today (sorry, no old ones available right now) and here is my website:Brosky's TR6 That will tell more of what I've done to it that I could ever post on this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-23 08:32 AM by Brosky.

Attachments:
may 001 (Medium).jpg    58 KB
may 001 (Medium).jpg

may 003 (Medium).jpg    60.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
may 008 (Medium).jpg    43.3 KB
may 002 (Medium).jpg    51.1 KB
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Wow great photos Paul!! Please add it to the Registry if you have a minute, your car should definitely be featured!

http://www.triumphexperience.com/registry/

Skye

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Brosky Paul Rego
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
Skye, I did add it. Thanks for prompting me to do do. I will add the TR8 tomorrow.

Greybeard44 Avatar
Greybeard44 Jeff Heller
Centennial, CO, USA   USA
I purchased my TR-6 from a British Motors dealer in Van Nuys California in August of 1970. Since 1972 the car has been in Colorado, in the Denver metro area. I drive it during the summer months only and it remains in good running condition. Current mileage is 59,271. No major work has been done on the vehicle other than routine maintenance. It remains a fun driving experience now that I am retired and have the time to enjoy the road. The car is listed on this site.

One Owner TR6 Bill Ledgewood
Fremont, California, USA   USA
I was in the Air Force and stationed in Thailand from August 1969 to August 1970. I sold my 64 Impala just before I left and was really looking forward to purchasing a sports car this time after two Chevrolets. The Datsun 240Z was coming out about the same time I arriving stateside. When I went to the dealers there was a 6 month waiting in the SF Bay Area. I really wanted a 6 cylinder and had driven a friends 1969. I went to Hayward Auto Imports and purchased mine in September of 1970. I always liked the torque of the motor and the gas mileage and never regretted purchasing the TR rather than the 240.

Quarryroy Roy Rowland
Sunnyside, New York, USA   USA
1969 Triumph TR6 "Trouble"
I have A 1969 tr6 going through a diy full body off resto. I found the wire haness to be very brittle especially in the rear of the car. I also found the wire covering worn exposing raw wire in between the rear inner and outer vallence at some pinch points. My hope is to replace the entire harness that include bulb sockets, connectors ect,, since my resaerch has only uncovered the availability of complete harnesses for a 69'. later models list segmented harnesses ( front, rear, ect ).
My question is three fold:
1-has anyone replaced a full harness and have tips, warnings, part suppliers ( Moss has a complete harness for $400 + - ).

2- my car does not have overdrive, however should i buy a harness with that option ( if available ) in case i add overdrive in the future.

3- Has there been any improvements in the 1969 harnesses such as upgraded fuse blocks using ATM/type fuse, relays, regulators included. Note, im trying to keep the car as origional as possible however It is my first restoration and quite clear to me it will never be a winning show car.

Thx for any help offered.

QR

Doug250 Avatar
Doug250 Doug Raugh
Viernheim, Hesse, Germany   DEU
My TR250 was bought by my father in '68 from a dealership in Florida. I accompanied him there and rode "shotgun" on the way home (I was 4 at the time).
It has always been a part of my life. I learned to drive stick on it. My Dad let me take it out on the week-end when I took a date to the drive-in or was cruisin' with my buddies.
In 2009 he told me : " both of us know that one day you're gonna inherit this car. But if kick the bucket at 90, and you inherit the car when you're 65, that's just too late to have fun with it."
That was when he told me I could have it, if I paid to have it shipped (I have been living in Germany since '89). He didn't have to tell me twice.
I imported the car in 2009. I always thought that I would inherit the car when my father passed. Him giving it to me earlier meant, I got to have my cake and eat it too.:-)
The first picture is from '69 with my Dad, me and my sister. The other two are from here in Germany.
Greetings to all.
Doug

Attachments:
in1969wTR250.jpg    48.1 KB
in1969wTR250.jpg

IMG_2736.JPG    62.5 KB
IMG_2776.JPG    41.7 KB
superbikemike Mike M
Santa Cruz, California, USA   USA
Me, my brother and my little sister (inside the 1968 TR250) when it was new.

Attachments:
tr.jpg    52.5 KB
tr.jpg

elwood Elwood Manteno
Highland Park, NE Illinois, USA   USA
I took delivery of CF22767U on September 20, 1974. The car is Pimento with black interior. I'm not content with leaving things alone, so the car now has a W58 conversion along with Goodparts springs, cv joint axles, Addco sway bars (7/8" front and 3/4" rear), 16x7 Konig Rewinds with 205/55x16 tires, Koni font shocks and World Wide Imports externally adjustable levers. The engine is mildly warmed over, but hasn't been opened since 1985. I do have an electric fan and fan eliminator, as well as a Fidenza aluminum flywheel. A planned rebuild will include a fully ported head, along with a Goodparts cam, sometime in 2016. From my home in north suburban Chicago, I have driven my TR6 on many road trips. In 2014, we went to North Carolina for the VTR Convention, and then the next month we went to Oxford, MS for 6-Pack TRials. Drive them folks, they like to be driven.

The first photo is from 1976, taken in Triumph, IL, as my club prepared to host the first North American Triumph Challenge. In 1980, that event combined with the VTR National Convention.

Photo 2 was taken in the paddock at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in 2009.

Photo 3 was taken September 20, 2014. This was the 40th anniversary of our time together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-14 09:23 AM by elwood.

Attachments:
1976 NATC I.jpg    42.6 KB
1976 NATC I.jpg

TR6 at Blackhawk July 2009.jpg    55.7 KB
2014-9-20 anniversary portrait.jpg    36.7 KB
Doug250 Avatar
Doug250 Doug Raugh
Viernheim, Hesse, Germany   DEU
Sweet! (Love your license plate too) thumbs up

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster